lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: RXV rear axle oil--how to install?

I like the picture, thanks. I will look for one of them bad boys out here in Calif.

I can probably use that on other carts that have a plug, when adding oil.

Thanks guys. Now just gotta mix this secret "sauce"".
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #12
VieraDave
Not Yet Wild

I just did this exact oil change on my 2009 EZGO RXV, I forgot to add friction modifier so i'll be pulling it all apart and doing it again this weekend.
I didn't pull axle off, i pulled the plate off and let everything drain out. Then i jacked up the front of my cart until the bottom of the gear box was level with the ground. Took several 4x4 blocks to high enough. Then I used a healthy amount of gear box gasket sealer around the rim and filled the pan right below that level, i didn't measure 25 oz :-)
then i reinstalled everything and let it cure for 24 hours. I took it for a test drive this morning and nothing leaks.
When i do it over i'll be taking pics along the way to post here. I hope this helps!
VieraDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Dave, please do take some pictures and post them here, that would be awesome.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #14
VieraDave
Not Yet Wild

For sure! I searched and searched for answers but i could only find tidbits on information. I wanted to know WHAT do use and How to do it. I did everything with the tools i already had. 1/2 Ton floor jack, wheel chocks for the rear wheels and some wood blocks from old wood working projects. This time I'll do what my tech said, use 23 OZ of 80/90 and add 2oz of friction modifier.

Here's a photo of what the oil looked like when i drained it. I'm sure its been in there since 2009. It was totally opaque, but contained very tiny amounts of metal. I ran a magnet through it and only a small dusting of metal came out so that's a good sign.

Just in case this helps, here's the sticker from my axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0254.jpg (202.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RXV_AXLE_TAG.jpg (228.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #15
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks dave, keep the pics coming.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:49 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The posi is currently priced north of $400, you decide how important correct type & quantity of fluid is.........
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #17
VieraDave
Not Yet Wild

OK, i couldn't wait until the weekend so i went ahead and did it today.
In the first photo these are fluids i used. 27oz of 80w90 and 3oz of the friction modifier. I figured by the time everything was poured there would be some left overs in the jar/funnel tube so i added 4 extra ounces to the jar to compensate for that loss.
I didn't jack up the front this time, i wanted to try another method. I went through the driver side axle. It was easy to get access to, I had to buy a internal spring remover which was $12 at autozone and the 15/16th socket to remove the castle nut holding the hub onto the axle.
Here you can see the drain plug on the bottom, then with the plate removed. I pulled the plug to drain the oil then i put it back in. Then i removed the plate and cleaned off the old gasket. It was very easy to scrape off the old one. I applied another RTV seal and put the plate back on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0261.jpg (118.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0263.jpg (82.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0264.jpg (91.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0267.jpg (143.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0273.jpg (166.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #18
VieraDave
Not Yet Wild

..... then i removed the drivers side rear wheel, hub assembly and axle which came out easily. I then MacGyver'd a funnel and some old PVC 1/4" pipe so that i could pour the oil right into the diff through the axle tube. Down the hatch and BAM done. Then i put everything back together and now she'll sit parked for 24 hours while the RTV gasket cures. I hope this helps!!!! I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0269.jpg (72.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0271.jpg (120.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Looks like how i been doing it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #20
VieraDave
Not Yet Wild

Now a few of my neighbors saw what I was doing and want me to check their carts :-)
I can smell some pizza and beer in my near future :-)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO