lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
RioVerdeRXV
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Painting the Top

Has anyone had any luck painting the plastic sun top on an EZGO RXV? Wondering if automotive paint would stick and hold up well. Or, have seen some rattle can paints that claim to be good for plastic. Any special prep?
RioVerdeRXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Painting the Top

I haven't tried the spray cans but a friend of mine did on his deep sea boat and they turned out awesome, no cracking or peeling. There maybe a prep wipe or spray, I would pay the extra and get it from a automotive paint store that knows the best procedure etc. as long as it is clean and free of any dirt, oils, sap it should work fine.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I painted mine black before replacing completely with a sodden format.
The black was fine over the tan. I just cleaned it real well.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Rio, check out "Body+Paint" at the top of the Design Center section. Seems like most use adhesion promoter then primer and paint. Some go with Krylon for plastic.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
teamzero
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've been thinking about using the bedliner stuff. Not trying to hijack thread but has anybody done this and know a good brand?
teamzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Obz
Not Yet Wild

I did my Yamaha G29 and am planning to do my EZGO RXV. Key is prep. I used the Krylon Fusion paint (didn't use primer). If you're going for black, use the satin, not the matte. The matte apparently shows everything. Make sure you scotch brite it (scuff it up real good), then wash it with soap, then use some pre-paint, tack cloth, then spray away. Nice even strokes not too close (it'll drip) and not too far away. Heat up the can and it'll go on a little better. Worked VERY well and looked amazing with no streaks. Key is prep though. Take your time and do it right and the paint will last.
Obz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Rattle canned mine with Rust oleum Camo black. Clean it, sand it, clean it! Use more thin coats instead of trying to get it done. Be sure to let it dry thoroughly between coats. Good luck!
tculpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
RioVerdeRXV
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks all! Good info. Let you know how it comes out.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
N2snow2
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Be sure to scuff and clean and use promoter I can't remember what it's called but used it and then used spray can bed liner it worked great did a lot of trail riding lots of tree rubbing and no problems
N2snow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
RioVerdeRXV
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Finally painted the top using a Rustoleum paint made for plastic. Used a semi-gloss, but wishing I would have gone with a matte finish. Thoroughly cleaned the top, scrubbed it with a Scotch bright pad. At first I thought it wasn't going to work. The paint needs several days to fully cure. During that time it can be scratched off a little too easily. But, after a full week it hardened and it's working quite well. I'm still very careful with it, but it appears to be holding up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO