lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Can our motors be run under water?

I have been through some deep water and I have never had a problem, I'm not sure if the motor was ever been completely submerged but people ask if it's OK to get these motors wet and I am not sure. I have been doing this for a few years with the same motor so I guess it is a little late asking now but, as long as the rest of the electronics are protected from at least being submerged can a PDS and/or series motors be ran completely submerged?

Thanks
Rob
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: Can our motors be run under water?

I think it would be ok at first. (It wouldn't quit) But I think the brushes can not be soaked without harm. Maybe if you dried them out real good before running the cart. It seems like I read on this forum that the pedal box under the floor causes problems if submerged. So that would be under long before the motor. Courious to see what others say.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Pure water is not conductive, but tap water is, as is all water found in ditches, creeks and puddles, so the brush type motors found in Series and SepEx drives wouldn't run very well, if at all, with the segments on the commutator being shorted, or partially shorted, together.

The motors we use are not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination, but unless they are the vented type, they can probably tolerate some splashing. On the other hand, I don't believe they would survive very long if totally submerged.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So the cable posts are close enough at these amps to short out under water or do you mean if water gets inside the motor?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If water gets inside motor.

The commutator is what the brushes ride on and each brass section is insulated from the adjacent ones.

Swamp water isn't all that good of a conductor and the studs on the motor aren't all that close together, so the result would probably be more along the lines reduced performance than completely stop working. Basically amps bypassing the motor, sorta like what happens when carbon dust builds up inside the motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Great info as usual

Thank You

Rob
Old 03-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Water in the motor won't hurt immediately but it will rust the metal brush holders and eventually the motor will fail. No water is conductive enough to make the motor not run. These motors are not designed to run under water. Water will leak in and ruin it if you drive through water deep enough to be over the motor.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
Helirich
Gone Wild

I read a post in another forum about submerging starters. A guy that sounded like he knew of what he said claimed that the brushes are made of a material that is somewhat water soluble.

They won't desolve, but will absorb some water. This causes a couple of problems. The brushes will swell and not move in the holders as they should. Also the surface can become soft like a wet aspirin. If you try to use the motor when they are in this state, they may disintegrate very quickly. If they are dried out, it maybe fine except for corrosion of other parts in the motor.

I don't know if starter brushes are the same as ours and of course, that guy may have been wrong. (Are they aloud to post stuff that's wrong?) Also, the discussion was about being stuck in water over the starter. (Not just driving through.)

In any case, it sounded logical.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #9
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

looking at a couple stock motors that I have (a series and a PDS) what if you were to put a bit of silicone on the end cap, between the motor halves and on the motor where it meets the differential housing. It seems like you might be able to keep the water out for quite a while if you get stuck and you are deep enough to submerge the motor.

I really enjoy playing in the mud and sometimes it's hard to tell just how deep the water is, and I really prefer being able to do it quietly and without any other smells than my own.

The motor I have is an Advanced DC model DV1-4001-LR5.4N* built by EMP with 2 speeds. What if I was to break the motor down and spray it with dielectric grease or something else you might recommend as a routine maintenance to help prolong its life.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #10
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Getting stuck once in a while is a given and having the motor completely submerged is a possibility during the time it takes to recover
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO