lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Upgrade existing 2000TXT or buy newer?

Ok guys. I'm at a point where my existing 2000 TXT, which I have kept and maintained well for 8 years, and used 95% for hunting, is now at a point where I need to do some "capital improvements" to. Here's a pic of my cart now:

...and you can see most of the upgrades that I have done in my signature below.

So, right now I'm looking (post hunting season) to upgrade front & rear springs to heavy duty, install Plowman Limited Slip, install Carts Unlimited Heavy Duty Hubs. My current batteries are 3 years old so I have a few years left on them.

My wife has been "pushing" me to go towards the UTV gas route. I am a disabled hunter and there are some reasons this makes sense.

OTOH, I don't know if......say a 2010 or newer TXT model with the proper upgrades for a "woods" cart would outperform my existing cart, and if so.....by "how much" and of course, at what cost?

So.....any input from the brain trust here would be most appreciated. Selling my existing unit ( I would actually have to wash it ) would be considered in the "net cost" calculation.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would say upgrade what you have. You're not going to get anything in a new one that you're not going to have to upgrade anyway. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrade existing 2000TXT or buy newer?

You Have more invested there than you realize in terms of both money and time. Much of what you have is working great for what you do. However much has changed and more advanced technology is available. Newer front axle rack and pinion steering is lighter and quicker to the touch. 6/8v battery TXT48 is an impressive machine on or off the road when fitted with the Alltrax XCT control. Admiral high torque B2 motor is also available. Shift on the fly allows for 3 distinct modes of operation each with different torque, speed, & acceleration configurations.

But then again what you got is working, maybe money is better spent on a few small upgrades and a new gun or ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks for your response gents. I really do appreciate it. One other item that I was seriously considering upgrading was the front "lift" suspension. I was thinking of going to a long travel kit of 6" for the ride, and I believe these kits provide a wider wheel trac which would give the cart just a tad more stability.

As for my cart's current performance I'm actually quite happy with it. Speed really isn't a factor for me. Torque OTOH is key....and I have enough torque now (and I know this as the cart's climbing up hill ability is only limited by it's ability to get traction).....it's just that after 8 years of "beating" (nicely) on the EZ-GO limited slip, it's not working all the time. So, I can only assume the "washer" type fabric in the limited slip has worn out. So, if I'm going to fix that, I want a limited slip that will work in forward and reverse.(Hence...a change to the Plowman's model) The EZ-GO only works in forward.....which frankly is a PITA at times.

But....additional thoughts on a long travel front would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Dave
Old 12-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

IMO I would just upgrade what you have. Put on a set of HD springs with new bushings, set of Ausco hubs on the rear, change the limited slip setup if you wish and let it ride. You already know most of the gremlins in the cart. No reason to buy another one with different ones.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Food for thought.

Look into adding a Silver Wolf 4WD (front wheel mounted motors): http://www.silverwolfmotors.com/products/motor-kit

Or something similar.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks for your input JohnnieB. I've looked at those before but the biggest drawback for me is the fact that I lose my front disc brakes. And brakes where I live are a very, very important factor in living and breathing. Plus with the EZ-GO limited slip, the two wheel posi traction in forward has never really been a problem. There have been a limited number of times over the last 8 years where I wanted or needed 4WD. Now, 2WD in reverse would have been great.....but even this Silver Wolf states that their reversing engine option is not the pinnacle of upgrades. I just needed 2WD in reverse as one driving wheel in reverse doesn't cut it at times.....and those are usually....if not always.....the worse times. Hence, a rear winch.

The only reason for a long travel front end consideration is for the rough terrain that I at times, encounter. Even at the low speeds I run.....at 7mph, some of this "stuff" will rattle my kidney's out of my ears and what little travel that is in the front end seems non-existent. That's on certain properties that i hunt that have been coal stripped and never were properly reclaimed.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

LT front ends are nice they let you take rough terrain faster but, the nice stops right there. Meaning that after the soft front end takes the rough terrain faster the rear leafs kick you in the arse hard and fast ..... repeatedly. This led me to a rear LT as well
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:36 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

A rear LT would make sense when you install a front LT. But....and maybe I just flat out missed 'em.....but I don't see any rear LT's for sale. I see the "rubber blocks" to raise the rear when you install a front LT, but that's it.

My other question\concern with both the front and rear LT would be, does it raise the cart to high to create or make the cart more "top heavy". I drive along a lot of side hills......and at times it can get "freaky."
Old 12-21-2016, 01:59 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Having seen the inside of the Ezgo "posi" diff (clutch type, not biased like a "cone type"), it should perform just as well in reverse as forward. Perhaps I have not tested it as thourghly as you have. It's design should work in either direction. If the suspension & design does not suit your needs, maybe a" utv" would be better. The "hop on & go" part of a cart was always a strong point.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO