lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
western57
Not Yet Wild

Default 1993 Western (EZ GO) electric won't start or charge

My 1993 Western 200 won't start, also won't charge. When I depress the throttle, with the ignition on, the light that shows how much charge is left illuminates, dimly. It goes out when I release the throttle. All of the (7) batteries are good. I checked all wiring connections at the batteries, and they are clean and tight. This came on when I was out on our local golf course. The cart bucked a few times. I was able to drive it home, but once I got it in the garage it wouldn't go. The lights, radio, etc all work. I tried to charge it, but the charger would not activate. I'd appreciate any pointers on how to troubleshoot this one.

Thanks very much.
western57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1993 Western (EZ GO) electric won't start or charge

Do you have a dvm? I know you said lights and radio work, but it sounds like your batteries are too dead to move the cart. Also, I believe most chargers won't come on until they see a certain voltage. If this is in fact your issue, you'll have to charge them up with another type of charger.

Even if you do have another issue, the guys on this site that can help will want to know pack and individual battery voltages. Give the numbers to the second decimal. I.e: 6.xx.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
western57
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I have one, will check each of the batteries and the entire pack.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
western57
Not Yet Wild

I measured each battery -

1 – 6.27
2 –6.30
3- 6.27
4-6.30
5-6.27
6-6.32
7-6.27

Not sure how to measure the entire pack. At the plug for the charger, I got 5.67 volts.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have come across a lot of the old westerns, that the main wire that goes from the main positive battery , to the cart charge receptacle, needs to be have a new terminal spiced on to it, at the battery end. I think it is # 10 red wire, the end gets so much corrossion in it, it wont let the voltage pass thru.

I would look at that first. If you are not getting pack voltage at the charge receptacle, there is a problem there.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

test the neg to pos at opposite ends(so every post is included) of the pack to get the total pack volts...your individual batt volts look ok...
make sure the radsocs(metal pieces in the end of your charger port) are making good contact with your charge plug and that they are clean....
do you have a blade switch in your charge port?
if you do it will be a small wire with a flat rectangular device inline-that will interrupt the cart running-it is only a safety to keep you from driving away with your charge cord plugged in the cart and can be deleted...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
western57
Not Yet Wild

I really appreciate the assistance!

I measured the pack and got a reading much lower than 42 volts. I tracked the problem to a cable that had broken underneath the nut and had seemed to be connected. When I undid the nut, the ring stayed on the terminal, but the cable fell away. Put on a new cable, and I'm back in action.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO