lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DPI Chargers

I'm thinking this is 3 chargers over a span of 6 + months, It's almost impossible that the problem is with the chargers. I'm willing to swap chargers to prove my point. You pay shipping.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm pretty sure the42V DPI chargers Scotty and I are using are several years old (5 years for mine) and you got your this last spring, so DPI may have changed their parts sourcing since then.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #13
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My dpi that I bought in November died a couple weeks ago. Had the same blinking power light problem. All batteries were within specs and I called dpi. The came to the conclusion the power supply died. I didn’t take anything apart and offered to do so and they said no problem and mailed me a new one. Took a week but whatever. New charger is the new version and no manual came with it so had to hit the web to figure out how to set the dip switches and even that wasn’t real clear. Anyway it is charging fine now. New charger did come with a cd but my new laptop doesn’t have a cd drive so no workie. Time will tell.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #14
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
My dpi that I bought in November died a couple weeks ago. Had the same blinking power light problem. All batteries were within specs and I called dpi. The came to the conclusion the power supply died. I didn’t take anything apart and offered to do so and they said no problem and mailed me a new one. Took a week but whatever. New charger is the new version and no manual came with it so had to hit the web to figure out how to set the dip switches and even that wasn’t real clear. Anyway it is charging fine now. New charger did come with a cd but my new laptop doesn’t have a cd drive so no workie. Time will tell.
Thanks for that info. Is yours a 42 volt or something else? All of mine came with the switches set for Trojan batteries, so I've never had to change them. I've never gotten a manual or a cd, so all my info had to come from their web site.

ScottyB, thanks for the generous offer, but I will wait until it is out of warranty.

I don't believe its possible that its something I'm doing wrong. I always plug it into the cart first, then the AC, and that's the way they say to do it. There really isn't anything else to my part. I never run the pack below 50%, and I charge it every night if I used it that day.

So that leaves the cart or the charger. My batteries are all good and there has never been any significant voltage variation between them. All of the cables are good and the charger receptacle is clean. And the old EZGO charger works perfectly 100% of the time when I switch over to it. With all of this, how could my cart be the problem? Can anyone even think of a possibility of something that's wrong with the cart that could produce this issue?

The thing is, not only did the first 2 chargers fail on an intermittent basis from the beginning, they eventually died completely. What could be wrong with my cart that it is actually killing chargers dead? When I started having issues with the first charger I got in the habit of switching the cart into tow mode when charging; I didn't want a faulty charger to blow the controller. I can't see that having anything to do with all this. Could it?

BTW, I plugged the charger in yesterday after I was finished with the cart and it worked perfectly. I can't find anything to predict whether the charger will work on the first try or not. It sometimes fails when the pack is at 50%, and sometimes fails when its 95%. And it may go several days without issue and one day decides to fail. One other thing - I've never had any of the 3 to fail to complete a cycle once it started. I've had 12/24 volts chargers that I used with my bass boat to start cycles and then fail for some reason and start blinking red, but that has never happened once with any of these charger. If they are able to start the job, they always finish it.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Mine is a 36 volt and the new style charger is not set to Trojan by default. I believe it was US battery but doesn’t matter. New style has many more profiles to choose from.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post

I don't believe its possible that its something I'm doing wrong. I always plug it into the cart first, then the AC, and that's the way they say to do it. There really isn't anything else to my part. I never run the pack below 50%, and I charge it every night if I used it that day.

According to the manual, the charger ought to be plugged into AC power first.

Attached is the 2017 edition (Rev-10) of the manual and I've checked the earlier editions back to Rev-6 that was published in 2010. All of them say to plug into AC power first. (Statement starts at bottom of Pg-2)

I'm not sure if plugging into the cart first will cause the problems you have experienced, but the microprocessor might do some strange things if powered up while connected to cart battery.

-----
Where did you get the info about plugging into cart first?
If it was from the DPI website, they need to correct their website or their manuals.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf General_Chargers Rev-10 2017 Copyright.pdf (559.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I saw the OP note that he always plugged the charger to the cart and then the power cord into the wall. So, I started doing the same as it was inferred this was the correct sequence. Note, my manual is silent on this sequence. When I use this sequence the charger seems to receive a brief "signal" in that the LED's light up briefly and then go dark until I plug the charger into the wall. So, perhaps this is what is cooking your chargers? I will reverse my sequence and plug the charger in first and then to the cart. Thanks, JohnnieB!
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #18
Bkfiremedic
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
According to the manual, the charger ought to be plugged into AC power first.

Attached is the 2017 edition (Rev-10) of the manual and I've checked the earlier editions back to Rev-6 that was published in 2010. All of them say to plug into AC power first. (Statement starts at bottom of Pg-2)

I'm not sure if plugging into the cart first will cause the problems you have experienced, but the microprocessor might do some strange things if powered up while connected to cart battery.

-----

Where did you get the info about plugging into cart first?

If it was from the DPI website, they need to correct their website or their manuals.

This is straight out of the manual I received with my DPI Accusense 48v charger. I just got it the 2nd week of Sept this year. It actually says plug into the cart first then a/c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bkfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
Bkfiremedic
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkfiremedic View Post
This is straight out of the manual I received with my DPI Accusense 48v charger. I just got it the 2nd week of Sept this year. It actually says plug into the cart first then a/c.

But further down in the manual it says this, which to me contradicts the other wording and makes it sound like you plug into a/c first. I'm emailing DPI. My batteries and charger are less than 2 months old.

Bkfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #20
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I stand corrected. My manual (2014) states the same thing...bought my charger a month ago.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO