lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
djahern69
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV very slow

Hello there.
I have been asked to take care of my Dads rxv. He passed away recently.
It was last driven in October without issue and has been kept on charge since then.
However, when I went to drive it on Monday it would only go at a snails pace both backward and forward. I mean 5 seconds to travel a foot. There seemed to be vibration too when moving.
Battery voltage is 50v and it does go through its power up sequence.
The solenoid seems to operate correctly and I’m getting 46v approx at the controllers main large terminals.
I have also checked the wires from the throttle at the controller terminals. I’m getting between 0.4 and 4.7v there, depending on position of throttle, as would be expected.
It can be easily pushed when in “tow” mode.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Dave
djahern69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV very slow

What year and do you have the Troubleshooting Guide?

Do you know anybody who has the Handheld Programmer for your cart?
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
djahern69
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply.
It’s a 2009. I have the troubleshooting guide and I don’t know anyone with a programmer.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by djahern69 View Post
Hello there.
I have been asked to take care of my Dads rxv. He passed away recently.
It was last driven in October without issue and has been kept on charge since then.
However, when I went to drive it on Monday it would only go at a snails pace both backward and forward. I mean 5 seconds to travel a foot. There seemed to be vibration too when moving.
Battery voltage is 50v and it does go through its power up sequence.
The solenoid seems to operate correctly and I’m getting 46v approx at the controllers main large terminals.
I have also checked the wires from the throttle at the controller terminals. I’m getting between 0.4 and 4.7v there, depending on position of throttle, as would be expected.
It can be easily pushed when in “tow” mode.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Dave
What does this mean exactly? Is it the charger than came with the cart? Was it unplugged and plugged back in anytime in the last few months? Have you tried a new charge cycle. Do this first if you haven't
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
What does this mean exactly? Is it the charger than came with the cart? Was it unplugged and plugged back in anytime in the last few months? Have you tried a new charge cycle. Do this first if you haven't
Old 05-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
djahern69
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your replies.
I am completely new to this but not afraid to investigate things. I have an electrical background but with little to no experience with d/c.
It is the charger that came with the cart.
Can you explain what you mean by a charge cycle please?
Surely it’s not as simple as powering off and on the charger? If so, I have tried that.
It has been parked up in a golf club for the last nine months, so I couldn’t honestly say if it had been powered off prior to this week.
I don’t want to remove it from the parking area if it can be avoided as I don’t think I will get it back in there. It’s on an incline.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by djahern69 View Post
Thanks for your replies.
I am completely new to this but not afraid to investigate things. I have an electrical background but with little to no experience with d/c.
It is the charger that came with the cart.
Can you explain what you mean by a charge cycle please? Plug the charger into the cart and let in run a complete cycle (let it shut off by it's self).

Surely it’s not as simple as powering off and on the charger? If so, I have tried that. No.

It has been parked up in a golf club for the last nine months, so I couldn’t honestly say if it had been powered off prior to this week. Unless you have a float charger it only charged the cart once and has been discharging ever since. Some chargers will charge the cart and then keep the cart fully charged what charger do you have?
I don’t want to remove it from the parking area if it can be avoided as I don’t think I will get it back in there. It’s on an incline.
We need to know more.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Assumptions: the charger is plugged into a functioning wall socket (house power)

A charge cycle means: plug the charger into the cart, observe the charger starts charging and then let it charge until the charger turns off automatically. Depending on how far the batteries were discharged this could take approx. 4-7 hours or maybe more. The charger is looking for a preset voltage to automatically shut off. 60-65 volts for a 48 volt pack. If the voltage never rises to that level the charger will give up and shut off at approx. 14-16 hours.

The OEM charger will not automatically come back on unless the charger plug is pulled from the cart and reinserted thereby starting a new charge cycle.

So if nobody has been doing this since october the batteries are certainly dead and possibly,even likely damaged or ruined.

The charger needs to see a minimum voltage to even turn on. I forget exactly but somewhere around 32-37 volts for a 48 volt pack.

One likely problem given your symptoms is a discharged battery pack. Hence we say start a new charge cycle to see if the batteries will charge and hold it.
No amount of trouble shooting is valid unless the battery pack is healthy and charged.

The best tool to have for an electric golf cart is a DIGITAL multimeter.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

At 50v the battery pack is only at 80 percent charged. You maybe will have to run several charge cycles to get the battery pack higher. How old are the batteries? Have you checked the water?
Old 05-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO