lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Grinding/ticking/whining noise

New bearings, fresh fluid, and still having the same problem. This time it may be a little worse. It is a definite grinding sound that occurs when the axel goes faster than the RPM of the motor will allow, like driving downhill with the accelerator pressed. It pulls uphill great, but tips out around 8mph before the noise and vibration start. Not sure what is going on here. I am still running the 86 resistor coil setup, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it. Only other thing I can think of is gears, but I don't know what to look for, or what to replace. All my gears looked fine, and rotated fine by hand. Im stumped.
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I completely rebuilt my '98 rear end, and replaced all bearings, including the motor. Also rebuilt brakes. Mine was disappointing as far as noise. Exactly the same as yours and others have posted similar noises, namely accelerating or climbing uphill is quiet, coasting is noisy. There's no adjustment to correct this. Typical wear and tear. Buggies are at a disadvantage compared with cars, in that you only know the age, but not the miles. Mine didn't have much as far as metal particles, when I changed the oil.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #13
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I completely rebuilt my '98 rear end, and replaced all bearings, including the motor. Also rebuilt brakes. Mine was disappointing as far as noise. Exactly the same as yours and others have posted similar noises, namely accelerating or climbing uphill is quiet, coasting is noisy. There's no adjustment to correct this. Typical wear and tear. Buggies are at a disadvantage compared with cars, in that you only know the age, but not the miles. Mine didn't have much as far as metal particles, when I changed the oil.
That's exactly it. No metal to speak of, and no visible signs of wear. Is there a fix for it? I definitely notice it holding the cart back when it does it. Its gotta be gears grinding that Im experiencing, but I would like to find out if there is a definite fix for it before I start buying more parts.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm assuming all gears wear equally. You would probably have to replace each and every gear inside, if you can still find the parts. Mine doesn't seem to cause any problems, other than not being as stealthy as I'd like. Imaging the gears with a little slop between them. When under power, the slop is taken up as the driven hlf of each set is pushing the other sets.

You state that you feel like it's "holding you back", when coasting. My thoughts are that with new bearings, the parts are moving as smoothly as possible, there's just some extra slop due to wear and tear. If it were really holding you back, I'd think excess resistance would be the same as pulling uphill or accelerating, little to no noise.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #15
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'm assuming all gears wear equally. You would probably have to replace each and every gear inside, if you can still find the parts. Mine doesn't seem to cause any problems, other than not being as stealthy as I'd like. Imaging the gears with a little slop between them. When under power, the slop is taken up as the driven have of each set is pushing the other sets.

You state that you feel like it's "holding you back", when coasting. My thoughts are that with new bearings, the parts are moving as smoothly as possible, there's just some extra slop due to wear and tear. If it were really holding you back, I'd think excess resistance would be the same as pulling uphill or accelerating, little to no noise.
Its definitely giving extra resistance. There is a noticeable jerk when it hits the point that it is making noise. Im gonna take it for another turn around the parking lot and see what it does, and maybe get a video.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #16
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Heres a video, best I could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fIF9M1kgGM

You will notice that once it hits that magic speed, its like a jake brake on a big rig. Guess all I can do for now is tear back into it and see what I can do.

If I did find and order a set of torque gears for this cart, what gears do they generally include in the kit, and what other gears would I need to order to replace them all?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #17
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

To hell with it. Just ordered a set of 15:1 torque gears. Gonna replace it all. Anyone know if you can get a new intermediate gear? I want to change them all out, and that's the only one I can't find.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #18
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, so I found out that the low speed gear sets are the opposite of the high speed sets, in that they contain the input gear and the intermediate gear that contacts it, whereas the high speed sets include the main ring gear and the accompanying intermediate gear. I would assume since the input gear is the one that is most readily available as a replacement part, that it is the one that sees the most wear. Hopefully the main gear and the intermediate gear that contacts it is not the culprit I am after right now. Will keep advised of my situation once my gears show up.

Also, where can I find the little freeze plug looking covers on the differential housing? I was able to reuse my originals when I replaced the bearings, but I would like to replace them when I remove them for the second time.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #19
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, sourced anoth cart yesterday. Its an 88. I knoew that the controller is an Alltrax and is either 300 or 400, but I cant find anything that says which one. Just wondering if its going to be any better than my stock controller off my 91. I know either one is a better setup than the 86 resistor technology. Just wondering which one is better, or if the alltrax can even be used, or if the parts can be i terchanged. Just tell me what Im looking at here.

First 3 are of my 91, and last two of the 88. Note how the 91 has 4 lugs on the controller and the 88 only has 3. Also, the solenoids look way different.

Again, just wondering what parts are better to use while I save up for my desired upgrades.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #20
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well this is terribly disappointing. I ordered the new torque gears for my cart, which were supposed to be delivered today. When I got home, my package contained a spark plug ignition coil for something and a locking gas pedal cover. WTH!?!?! Not even close. I hate dealing with Ebay, but they were running a 25% coupon deal that bought the gear set for less than $300.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO