lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
lsualum
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v Powerwise EQ Charger Popped,Tripped Home Breaker, and Now Only Relay Clicking

I’ve had this TXT cart for nearly 4 years with no issues regarding the charger, controller, batteries, etc. Last night when I got in from practice, I plugged the cart in to charge like always and went inside. Went to garage a few minutes later and noticed the lights wouldn’t turn on, garage door wouldn’t open, etc. Checked the breaker and had one tripped. Flipped it and the charger popped loudly and the house breaker tripped again. Unplugged the charger from the cart and flipped the breaker back on then plugged back into cart and all it will do now is click over and over from the relay. No lights on the charger, nothing but the relay clicking every couple of seconds. Is this a known issue that can be fixed? Please someone help before i foolishly spend a couple hundred on a new charger if this can be fixed easily.

FYI, the cart is an 08. No clue if this is the charger that came with it originally or not, but it is the one I was given from the guy I bought the cart from.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lsualum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 36v Powerwise EQ Charger Popped,Tripped Home Breaker, and Now Only Relay Clicking

Yes you can fix it.....but why not get a modern charger like the summit II.
I have cleaned out dirt, spider eggs, snake skins (yes snake skins) and tons of dirt from these open grilled heavy POS. Even with the upgraded board its still a Powerwise. Why spend $100 to repair just so another 15 year old part in the charger to fail.
Check out Revolution (a sponsor), good price indeed.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: 36v Powerwise EQ Charger Popped,Tripped Home Breaker, and Now Only Relay Clicking

you mean QE right? throw it out. it's garbage. get a DPI

You can open a QE up, possibly see a few charred components inside, or try and replace the AC side fuse and DC Side fuse (they're soldered in) but what you're seeing with tripped breakers possibly indicates a short.

Or, it faulted out when the breaker tripped. There's zero diodes in the DC output side, so if you lose AC power long enough, any DC volts backfeed the output side of the charger usually blowing a fuse after ruining some FETs or filter capacitors. not worth your time to fix. You might get 15 days or 15 more seconds followed by a dazzling array of fireworks/smoke.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO