lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
redtide361
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Lightbulb 06 ezgo txt 36v needs more power motor ? Controller?

I have a 06 ezgo txt 36v cart. I've just put a 6 inch lift and shock upgrades and want to add the 22" tires?? Not sure what is a good size without being too big, and a rear seat. Only thing is I'm not sure if it can handle all that load on that motor? It seemed like it was slow and very sluggish on any hill or anything over 10°. Before lift* I used 2/0 industrial thin stranded/flexible wire and new lugs and replaced all the wires to the controller, batteries, and motor. And cleaned up the f/r switch etc. It seemed to do a lot better but I still wasn't impressed up hill. So anyway I have been restoring it to a sweet cart I've put nice coil over shocks all around replaced every nut and bolt with industrial grade SS and installed a 6 inch lift kit new ball joints and steering pinion joint as well and fenders. I want to put bigger tires, back seats and be able to make it up hills at a joggers pace at the least.
redtide361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 06 ezgo txt 36v needs more power motor ? Controller?

First, check your pack voltage while going up that hill you were talking about. No point throwing money at upgrades until you know for sure the weakness isn't from weak batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #3
redtide361
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll double check but I noticed dcv drop like 5-7 v but with 2 gauge wires I noticed no where near that. No I have all new spiral wound batteries but they are 12v. I guess I need to put the tires on it and try it out. What size tire like a 22?
Btw thanks so much for taking the time to help me in really appreciate it!
Old 11-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you are running optima batteries (any color), take them back quick if you still can. The last set of those I saw in a golf cart only lasted 18 months. And that was a stock system without any upgraded/high performance parts, or larger wheels. I was very upset, because it was done by the motor pool at the local fire department (so I paid the wasted cash to put those incorrect batteries in there).

I dont think you are gonna have any luck adding upgrade/high performance parts with optima batteries, they are just not the right type of batteries for any golf cart.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:31 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

You will be slower on hills, than you were before when you put the bigger tires on. I'm not sure how the math works exactly, when it comes to percent of torque lost from stock size tires to bigger. However, there will be torque loss and if you were not happy before, you definitely wont be happy afterward.

You can help this with your setup, but it will be at a cost. I would recommend contacting Scottyb at site sponsor: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ads/c...Odz09&z=20&d=1. He will be able to guide you through options to get what you want. Some options are more expensive and involved than others...

One of those options is to upgrade your system to a 48v. So as cgtech said, if you can take the batteries back, you may want to do that, until you figure out how you want to proceed with available options.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:57 AM   #6
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtide361 View Post
I have a 06 ezgo txt 36v cart. I've just put a 6 inch lift and shock upgrades and want to add the 22" tires?? Not sure what is a good size without being too big, and a rear seat. Only thing is I'm not sure if it can handle all that load on that motor? It seemed like it was slow and very sluggish on any hill or anything over 10°. Before lift* I used 2/0 industrial thin stranded/flexible wire and new lugs and replaced all the wires to the controller, batteries, and motor. And cleaned up the f/r switch etc. It seemed to do a lot better but I still wasn't impressed up hill. So anyway I have been restoring it to a sweet cart I've put nice coil over shocks all around replaced every nut and bolt with industrial grade SS and installed a 6 inch lift kit new ball joints and steering pinion joint as well and fenders. I want to put bigger tires, back seats and be able to make it up hills at a joggers pace at the least.
I would upgrade in the order below until satisfaction is reached:
1.Good Batteries
2. Higher Amp Controller and Solenoid
3. Bigger motor (do not do this without #2 above)
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you are going from stock height (18") tires to 22" tall tires, you will have to find at lest 22.2% more torque to have the same uphill speed as you now have and if a rear seat is added even more torque will be needed.

Is your cart a series drive or is it a PDS?
Are you running three 12V batteries for 36V?

What speed in MPH do you want of level pavement?
What speed in MPH do you want going up a 10° hill, or whatever the incline of the steepest hill you often climb is?

What is your cart's top speed on level pavement now? (If it is much less than 14MPG, it isn't up to stock performance and why is isn't ought to be identified before stating the upgrade proce$$)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
redtide361
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Guys I really appreciate all the info everyone seems very helpful. I will get the answers to the question I've been asked and post them here. I believe it's a series cart I will get motor numbers etc before I return to this wonder web site. Everyone enjoy their sunday!
Old 11-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
redtide361
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm running 3 12v 110ah batteries and that may be a problem cause if I'm not mistaken the 6v batteries have some with like 350ah each. Also tires are 215/35-12 =17.9 × 8.5 but it does at least 10-12 mph on flat as of now when I'm driving on flat my voltage is around 34-36 up a hill itll drop to 31-32vdc. Also if I drive it for like 30mins straight i can feel the heat from the controller on the protective cover. What ah should I be having on my pack. Thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The standard 6x6V 36V battery pack is 225AH.
The highest capacity 6V deep cycle batteries typically found in golf carts is 260AH.
Attached is a list of the more common ones. (Neither up-to-date or all inclusive)

36V is only about 50% charged for a 36V battery pack and when ran at low voltage, motors draw more amps and more maps generates more heat.

At series drive turning stock height tires (18" tall) will push a typical EZGO golf cart about 14 MPH when powered by a 36V battery pack, which is about 38.2V when fully charged. Running at 34V to 36V on the flats is most likely why 10MPH to 12MPH is the top speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller upgrade, ezgo, motor upgrade, tire size ? clearance, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO