lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
als
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Testing throttle input at controller

Want to check my throttle input and have found great info on this site but I do not know which type I have. Need to know this so I can select the correct trouble shooting.
Just to be clear its not the miro switch(red wire / green wire) I need to check its the variable input(white wire/black wire).

Cart is 2000 EZGO TXT 36volt
I believe I managed to upload a photo of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200622_151647018.jpg (105.0 KB, 0 views)
als is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Testing throttle input at controller

First we need to identify the type drive your cart has, series or PDS, since they have different ITS voltages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
als
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Looking at your chart the back up switch in my dash, tow/run switch & controller looks like the one on the far right. Which makes it a Sepex, am I reading that right?
Old 06-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by als View Post
Looking at your chart the back up switch in my dash, tow/run switch & controller looks like the one on the far right. Which makes it a Sepex, am I reading that right?
Sounds like you have a 2000 TXT PDS (TXT is the body type -- PDS is the drive system)

The ITS voltage is on J4 Pin-4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (129.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ITS Adjust Pg-1.jpg (153.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ITS Adjust Pg-2.jpg (143.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
als
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB - Have .6 volts on J4 pin #4 white wire. Does not change when I move the throttle with key on , tow/haul set to run and direction switch in Forward.
My goal here is to determine why the controller is not providing ground to the solenoid from connector J1 pin 6 blue wire. If I remove the blue wire and provide my own ground the solenoid clicks fine(does not get the cart going but it does click) so I am checking off all the inputs and it looks like the throttle is not inputting correctly as its voltage does not change. Is there another step to verify the throttle is faulty before ordering a replacement.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a schematic with all of the wires that have to have pack voltage on them for the controller to connect B- to J1 Pin-6 (Blue wire) and a drawing showing the voltage path through the controller to get to the solenoid coil driver as well as a picture of a PDS controller with Pin-1 highlighted on all the jacks.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
als
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for that diagram - went though all the pins you marked and have pack voltage of 37.1 to 37.2 at all.

In regards to the throttle input I have .6 with throttle closed on the white wire J4 C4 but no increase in voltage as the pedal is moved to full throttle but in the test instructions it states that the voltage should be checked after the solenoid clicks which happens when the throttle input increases but in my case its not clicking.
I did remove that blue wire and provide my own ground again but the throttle test result stayed the same. So could having no increase signal from the throttle be way the controller is not grounding the solenoid? Anyway to bypass the throttle and increase the voltage to pin 4 up to its normal 1.5-1.7 volts?
Old 06-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What is the voltage on the black wire on J4 Pin-3?

There appears to be a disagreement on the ITS wire colors and J4 pins between the service manual text and the troubleshooting tree, but there are only two wires and one should be a steady 15V+/-1V while the other should vary from about 0.6V up to about 2.9V.

Here is the ITS part of the tree.

BTW: You can download the service, operator and parts manuals here: https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=1536
They are the top 3 pdf files.

However, if the solenoid isn't clicking and you get battery pack voltage on all the wires highlighted on the schematic I posted, the controller is a boat anchor anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS ITS check-1.JPG (31.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS ITS check-2.JPG (92.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:32 PM   #9
als
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Do not remember the voltage on J4 Pin 3 (black wire) for sure, will check it again but I am pretty sure it was 0volt.
I had found the service manual a couple of days ago and yes its hard to follow the trouble tree as they negate to reference things by connector and pin numbers but instead by wire color which a few are different color on my cart.

If indeed the speed controller is toast, where is the best place to get a replacement? If it does come down to being bad I will also open it just to peak inside, do know know what I would be looking for but from past experience of opening things up sometimes you get lucky and see something obvious.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #10
als
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok confirmed that connector J4 pin 3 black wire has 0 volts and that connector J4 pin 4 white wire has .6 volts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO