lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2020, 08:58 AM   #1
kMD
Not Yet Wild

Default 4 12v to 6 8v conversion adds weigh?

I just bought a 09 ezgo rxv that needs batteries (I bought it with no batteries in it). I believe the current cart is set up with 4 12 volt batteries. I have been reading it's better to do 6 8 volt or 8 6 volt. I will be using golf cart camping just to run around camp sites. I will be hauling cart in back of my half ton pick up. My concern is I am just about maxed out on my trucks payload so I want the golf cart to be as light as possible. From my research I am seeing the approximate weight of battery set ups is:

4 lead acid 12 volt 328 lbs
6 8 volt 504 lbs
4 lithium 12 volt 120 lbs

I would love lithium but I know they are pricy. Do you think it would be foolish for me not to convert to the 6 8 volt batt set up and keep the current 4 12 volt batteries? It's going to add 176 lbs to golf cart weight and every pound counts since I have a half ton truck.

Thanks
kMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 4 12v to 6 8v conversion adds weigh?

I have some alternate math:
Trojan 1275 12v battery=85lbs x 4= 340lbs
Trojan 875 8v battery= 63lbs x 6= 378lbs.

For use as you described it, probably easier to stay with the 12v. The 8v would give longer range per charge and longer service life all else being equal. This might not be needed to just run around a campground presumably at very slow speed (rules). Conversion to 8v requires a different battery tray.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
rngilliland
Gone Wild

I think you are overestimating the weight of six 8 volt batteries. 6 Trojan T-875 batteries weigh 378 lbs. Other batteries with higher capacities will weigh more but I don't think you will add more than 100lbs no matter which 8 volts you use.

If you don't need the extra range of the 8 volts it would be simpler to stick with the 12 volt batteries. I don't know the mileage but I play 27 holes using about 20% of the capacity of my Trojan 1275 12 volt batteries.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
kMD
Not Yet Wild

For only 40 lbs more I would rather have the 6 8 volt batteries. I did see the additional tray I thinks it's around $150.

I must have looked at different numbers, thanks for your reply.

Is there any other mods besides the new tray? I have to also buy new battery cables as the cart does not have them.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The number of cables are different.

So you don't know if this cart runs?
Old 08-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
kMD
Not Yet Wild

A few more questions:

1. if I went with a lithium direct replacement 12 volt battery would I have to buy a new charger? Current charger 48 volts was used on 4 12 volt battery.

2. If I went with 6 8 volt batteries could I use the same 48 volt charger as I do with the 4 12 v batteries? I assume yes just wanted to make sure.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can't comment on lithium. If you have a working 48v charger for the cart, 12v or 8v batteries doesn't matter although some new chargers adjust for specific brands and capacities.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
kMD
Not Yet Wild

I do not know if cart runs. I bought it with no batteries in it ( they took batteries to scrap yard for money). It has 3 wires from charger, a big red wire from solenoid and a couple other wires from wiring harness that connect to something. If I had a wiring diagram it would be very helpful. I was told it ran perfect but batteries just died.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #9
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kMD View Post
I do not know if cart runs. I bought it with no batteries in it ( they took batteries to scrap yard for money). It has 3 wires from charger, a big red wire from solenoid and a couple other wires from wiring harness that connect to something. If I had a wiring diagram it would be very helpful. I was told it ran perfect but batteries just died.

Thanks
Wiring diagram in I

https://www.ezgo.com.au/files/4998/6...r%20Manual.pdf
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #10
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

kMD I'm in the process of converting my RXV to six 8 volt batteries. I've got to drive a hour and a half to buy US Battery's 8VH ATB37 for $169 each, they have the highest amp hour rating of any 8v that I know of. Supposed to be a 36% increase in run time over the four 12v Trojans I'm running now.
You'll need the 6 pack tray, one retainer (hold down) and two tie down bolts. I ordered all this from M&D Mower and Appliance in Ohio for $244 with shipping and tax.
Part numbers are
628617 galvanized tray
612867 retainer
01101G01 tie down bolts
I'll post up when the order comes in and I get it installed if anything is not right.
I'd also recommend a DPI charger once you get it up and running.
SBIRD! is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO