lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Built myself a roof rack...

I'm only saying this from experience of repairing the supports and then having them break again at the next flex point. The support I suggest is nowhere near your head unless you lie across the back seat drive. LOL
Roof racks need special attention to keep them from rocking ( flexing) with the daily driving of the cart whether loaded or not. Just the weight of the rack will do it. Enough said. It's a good looking rack, enjoy the added versatility.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I understand after reading your first post again. Go from the armrest area of the rear seat to the rear roof support to reduce movement in the supports. Makes sense...

Might be useful too, put one on each side, add an Oh S**t handle on each side for rear passengers!
theclintonsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclintonsx4 View Post
I understand after reading your first post again. Go from the armrest area of the rear seat to the rear roof support to reduce movement in the supports. Makes sense...

Might be useful too, put one on each side, add an Oh S**t handle on each side for rear passengers!
Yeah and maybe put some of that foam pipe insulation on them so they don't bang their heads on them when you tip side to side.... Just trying to help, it really has been frustrating even after I know they stopped using them, they were breaking, always in a new spot. ARRRG!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Honestly even with shipping it might be worth it for you to make me one. I like it and don't want to take time to make one since I'm burried in other stuff I'm fabbing. And yes scotty it will be braced. It's going on a roll cage not just a top.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

How would u want it made? Diamond plate bottom? No mounting holes since its going on a cage? Bare metal or painted/coated?
theclintonsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #16
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Can you PM me a quote for one with expanded metal bottom in both bare and coated black?
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
bud light
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Man those guys from SC know how to build anything.
Good job!!!
bud light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclintonsx4 View Post

I was just discussing that yesterday with some neighbors for mine. We were talking about adding a diagonal from the rear seat arm rests to the roof supports. All I have is an overhead stereo console on mine, yet the flexing ScottB is talking about is noticeable. I had to build a "luggage rack" to mine, to tie all three struts together, to eliminate sags and squeaks. I still have to contend with folks hanging on the roof while I corner, and rear passengers often ride standing up, facing forward, and hang onto the roof. Aggressive cornering, acceleration and braking put a lot of live loads onto a system that was meant to offer shade while driving across a golf course.

What ScottB mentioned about roof struts failing is something I noticed on WorkHorse buggies at work. My rear struts are slightly bent at the point they connect to the rear seat. I need to compare them to my neighbor's, to see if that's normal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2246.jpg (164.3 KB, 14 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #19
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

do you guys think it would help strengthen the strut setup if in front i ran a thick piece of flatbar from strut to strut across the dash as we ll as did that again at the top right under where roof meets front struts?
my ideal setup would be to find some HD front struts to keep the flex down, some days im scared both front struts are going to snap.
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #20
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't think you would gain too much from horizontal braces since they are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the stock front struts they would not offer much additional stiffening. Diagonal struts would, but then that somewhat limits your field of view. You could put a little 10" diagonal brace in the upper corners to help, but that may be too obstructive to your view even at 10" and with the diagonal brace, the bigger the better.

OTOH, it won't hurt to add horizontal braces and if you do add them it gives you a lower mounting point for some diagonal bracing.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO