lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v TXT voltage reducer wiring help

I assume the PDS rocker is going to cut power in neutral because the cart stops running in neutral. Agree the wht/yllw wire at the key switch should be the proper place to connect the switch leg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #2 Ezgo PDS solenoid activation diagram.jpg (142.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I assume the PDS rocker is going to cut power in neutral because the cart stops running in neutral.
The cart stops running because both the PWM output is shutoff and Positive voltage to solenoid is shut off, but I'm not sure if the voltage to the keyswitch is.

In a series cart and a DCS cart, the Keyswitch and the microswitches on the F/R assembly are in series and the keyswitch is after the F/R in the series chain, so the keyswitch loses voltage when the F/R in in Neutral, but with a PDS system, the control switches are in parallel, and fed by the same voltage source within the controller.

I guess the way to find out for sure is to ask someone that has a stock PDS cart with a DVM battery meter connected to the Keyswitch if it shuts off when shifting from F to R while the Key is ON.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I wouldn't think killing the radio while shifting from F to N would be a problem with old-school radios, but more modern ones, like modern cell phones, don't instantly turn on. They have to "boot up", which takes a few seconds.

Just depends on how anal you are, but that would piss me off. With a dedicated key switch position, as long is my key's on the accessory mode, all my accessories work. Mine's a series.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #14
jwitt333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah, I want the key switch to turn on the asseccories not the FNR switch. If I have to use sepperate switches for erverything, that is fine also. My main concern right now is I don't know where to connect the green wire from the converter. The instructions state it shoud go to the keyswitch to have a switched 36v source, I would assume so the converter is not on all the time.

Right now my cart is set up for all my lights to have there own switch and we use the power button on the radio to turn it on and off. I was trying to siplify that by using the keyswitch to turn off all the power to the 12v side. Like a car would.

The real concern is how to turn the converter on and off. I dont want it running all the time especially when the cart is being stored. I think that will burn it up.
jwitt333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

With an EZ-Go 3 position switch you'd be good. Off, On, On with accessories. I can run it with no accessories, or with. As long as you turn the key switch off, it kills the reducer.

A three position switch has two independent switches. Both are off in the first position, second position makes the first switch, which is just like your two position switch. The third position makes both switches, so you run a + from the battery to one side, and your reducer to the other.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
jwitt333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
With an EZ-Go 3 position switch you'd be good. Off, On, On with accessories. I can run it with no accessories, or with. As long as you turn the key switch off, it kills the reducer.

A three position switch has two independent switches. Both are off in the first position, second position makes the first switch, which is just like your two position switch. The third position makes both switches, so you run a + from the battery to one side, and your reducer to the other.
It sounds like I need to get one of those. Where did you buy yours???
Old 05-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

All my accessories have their own switches, so the only thing that's "active" when the reducer is on is the horn and accessory socket. Headlights, taillights, dome light, wig-wags, and ammeter all have their own switches.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt333 View Post
It sounds like I need to get one of those. Where did you buy yours???
I paid too much, but bought a uniquely keyed switch from shopezgo.com. Any weather resistant key switch would do, such as for a motorcycle or boat. Just make sure one switch makes in the second position, and both make in the third, and that they are independent from each other electrically.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #19
jwitt333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I paid too much, but bought a uniquely keyed switch from shopezgo.com. Any weather resistant key switch would do, such as for a motorcycle or boat. Just make sure one switch makes in the second position, and both make in the third, and that they are independent from each other electrically.
OK thanks.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt333 View Post
Yeah, I want the key switch to turn on the asseccories not the FNR switch. If I have to use sepperate switches for erverything, that is fine also. My main concern right now is I don't know where to connect the green wire from the converter. The instructions state it shoud go to the keyswitch to have a switched 36v source, I would assume so the converter is not on all the time.

Right now my cart is set up for all my lights to have there own switch and we use the power button on the radio to turn it on and off. I was trying to siplify that by using the keyswitch to turn off all the power to the 12v side. Like a car would.

The real concern is how to turn the converter on and off. I dont want it running all the time especially when the cart is being stored. I think that will burn it up.
I looked up the MadJax J1230C installation instructions and to turn it completely off for long term storage, you will have to put a switch or relay in the Yellow wire, or disconnect it physically. (Positive input from battery pack)

Otherwise it will have a 10A output on the Blue wire all the time.

Apparently, the Green wire (Remote ON/OFF) only switches the 30A output on the Red wire On and Off.

------------
I've never heard of this unit before, but it appears to have a feature that solves a problem for people with radios whose presets reset when power is completely removed, especially people with radios that have a separate "Keep Alive" input.

The Blue wire 12V output is on at all times the MadJax unit is connected to the battery pack.

-------------
If the heavy amp users like headlights are turned off, having the converter on probably won't burn it up, but it will discharge the batteries faster since it uses some power even when no power is being drawn from it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MadJax converter - 5 wire.jpg (62.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007, 36v, madjax, txt, voltage reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO