lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
JustChad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 EZGO is missing the starter generator

I just picked up a 1988 EZGO gas cart. I'm new to the golf cart world and am excited to get into it. This cart has trouble getting started, more when I put it in reverse than in forward. After a bunch of searching and reading, I noticed it is missing the starter generator motor. Is it necessary to run one? I assume it is but thought I would ask. What’s the best brand and is it hard to add one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0800.jpg (225.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 66266971462__F8F7F4BF-C8D3-4D96-9231-BE48BDF39DB4.jpg (231.9 KB, 0 views)
JustChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2022, 06:23 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1988 EZGO is missing the starter generator

That’s not a 1988. It’s older.

I don’t know exactly what year off the top of my head, someone will know for sure but some of the early carts had the starter/gen internal to the motor. Do you have a picture of the serial number tag?

Looks like you got one of those. You can tell because all the big wires from the forward/reverse shifter go into the motor.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:48 PM   #3
JustChad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
That’s not a 1988. It’s older.

I don’t know exactly what year off the top of my head, dabble or someone will know for sure but some of the early carts had the starter/gen internal to the motor. Do you have a picture of the serial number tag?

Looks like you got one of those. You can tell because all the big wires from the forward/reverse shifter go into the motor.
I've looked all over for a serial number tag and cant find it. I don't see any numbers on the frame or engine. I thought it was an 88 because of the Mikuni carb that's on it was only used in 88. It's having a real hard time cranking specially in reverse. So I was hoping to figure out the issue.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It's a 79 or older. The first post explains. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=105501

Hard to start could be low compression, worn seals, dirty carburetor, and I'm sure a few other things.

Big question is, what do you do now? Run it as is? Try to fix it?, or choke the guy that sold it to you?
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:56 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

According to a Google search, the internal starter/generators were from 1974-1979

That said, if you press the gas and the engine spins, the starter gen is working.

The engine taking over and actually running is a different story. I’d start with the basics, make sure you have good spark, carb is clean. You can squirt a little gas into the spark plug hole and it should fire off pretty easily to rule out a fuel issue. Also would check compression.

Take out the spark plug and give it a read. Is it black and fouled? White and crispy? Tan?

Also note that it is a 2 stroke engine. You need to make sure to mix a quality 2stroke oil with the gasoline. Don’t trust the oil injection system if it has one. They only work until they don’t, and when they don’t you find out the hard way with a wrecked engine.

Parts are getting to be pretty hard to find for these, but they are out there. I’m far from an expert on these older ezgo’s but there’s some folks here that know them like the back of their hand.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:57 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

Big question is, what do you do now? Run it as is? Try to fix it?, or choke the guy that sold it to you?
Old 01-07-2022, 07:01 PM   #7
JustChad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
It's a 79 or older.

Hard to start could be low compression, worn seals, dirty carburetor, and I'm sure a few other things.

Thanks for the link to that info. I put a brand new carb on it because the original one was puking gas from every orifice it had. I guess one question would be what would happen if I disconnected the internal starter generator and used an external one? Once it gets turned over and fires up it runs great. I'll put a compression tester on and see what that says. What kind of numbers should I be looking for?

Also might go have a few words with the guy I bought it from.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:38 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

120 psi is new. 100 is acceptable. 90 is probably ok. You start getting lower than that, and it will be difficult to run.

I see the pulley is there for a starter belt. You would need mount brackets, and a starter, but then you would still need to mess with all of the wiring. It's a different voltage regulator, and there are points in there. Really not worth it. You are better off fixing it.

If this engine died, you would be better off finding an 81 to 88 replacement. Let me dig around. I might be able to find the manual again.

Looks like post #2 https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=130178
Old 01-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

When you say hard to start..........

Step on the pedal, and it spins but takes a long time to fire, and run?

Step on the pedal, and nothing happens, and then the starter finally starts to turn?

These are two completely different problems. We need a better description so we know which direction to go.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #10
JustChad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
When you say hard to start..........

Step on the pedal, and it spins but takes a long time to fire, and run?

Step on the pedal, and nothing happens, and then the starter finally starts to turn?

These are two completely different problems. We need a better description so we know which direction to go.
When I step on the peddle I can hear the click of the switch and then it sounds like it’s sitting against the compression stroke and the starter is just too weak to push past it. If I continue to press and release the peddle then the starter will find it’s go juice and crank the engine. Once it’s cranking it fires up every time. It happens most when in reverse. In forward it rarely happens. I thought it might be a worn switch so I pulled it apart and cleaned all of the contacts. That didn’t change anything. I took off the drive belt and the starter cranks with no hesitation.

Just took compression at 90psi. Here’s what the plug looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7723421E-9E26-4DE0-989D-3398999D2D8F.jpg (83.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BC0440F2-23A8-4FD8-AE86-836E451DB9CC.jpg (96.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO