lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Controller help needed!!!

Spent two days carefully following the instructions of installing the C74 700A SS conversion from CartsUnlimited and it wasn't hard. I went slow and did one wire at a time - everything went smooth. But before I even turned the key on I have hit a confusing wall during my preflight check.

What would cause my controller to output a "-" (negative) signal from the B+ ???? This is cable #2 that runs to the solenoid and then to the "+" of the battery pack. If I test the B+ on the controller and the "+" on the battery I read 38.6v !?!?!

My controller is a 700 amp FSIP (GE) & I have a series motor.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

I disconnected everything from the controller except the B- going to the negative terminal on battery pack. Using a volt meter I then retested B+ and it's still outputting negative signal! Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller help needed!!!

Post a picture of the fuse installation. Or give a detailed description of where the 2 ends of the fuse are landed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Fuse?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Fuse is only for Alltrax, Sorry. you have FSIP control. They use no fuse.

Can you post pics of the install?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lol I don't see a fuse in any of the schematics?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

okay - is it hard to get us some pics? It sounds like something simply is mis-placed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Club-Car-Series-cable-numbers(web).jpg (169.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes I followed that to a "T", I disconnected everything except the #6 cable in your wiring diagram from above. ie: Only the B- is connected to the battery negative in the battery pack with cable #6 now.

In my attached pic, Volt meter negative is on the B+ of the controller. The positive of the volt meter is on the positive of the battery pack. IMO this should not be giving any reading from the B+ terminal with the volt meter correct? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416087541.746507.jpg
Old 11-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I've never made that test. So I don't know what that reading should be but I think it's safe to say that the voltage you are reading there is very insignificant amperage - wise.
Just go ahead and connect everything according to the diagram.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I've never made that test. So I don't know what that reading should be but I think it's safe to say that the voltage you are reading there is very insignificant amperage - wise.

Just go ahead and connect everything according to the diagram.

If i do that it would prob drain my batteries quickly.

I had it all connected and I noticed the resistor across the solenoid was warm and I hadn't even turned on the cart yet. That's when I realized (with the help of a voltmeter) that the B+ was outputting the negative current through wire #2 which goes to the solenoid and is what was causing the resistor to heat up with the cart off. Something isn't right. Can it be possible that my brand new controller is a dud? What else can I test to find out?

If anyone has this controller can you do a quick test? With cart turned off, positive of voltmeter to positive of battery pack. Negative of voltmeter to B+ of controller. No need to disconnect any wires (I only disconnected to simplify locating the problem).

Do you get the same reading? Shouldn't get any reading IMO. Does your solenoid resistor also stay hot to the touch even with the cart off?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts