lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 AM   #11
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Default Re: New Hunting Build TXT Series or RXV??? Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
HTR,
I understand that, I was just pointing out that "the need for speed" is more "I wanna go fast".

If he increases tire size in order to gain speed, he's going to loose torque and braking performance. I'm trying to convince him that it's not necessary to have even more speed than a stock RXV will deliver. I also suspect that a minimal lift that would probably leave the cart in a safe, stable condition is all that's really needed. After all, the maximum clearance under the cart is still limited by the differential.
5 minutes means you kill a gobbler or you don't. I'm 40 years old and my need for speed days are way behind me. I'm more interested in the carts ability to climb a hill and get me to point b in a reasonable time. I never leave a dirt road so doing 30mph in a golf cart is not an option anyways unless you have a death wish. From the little bit of test driving I've done in a lifted rxv at a local dealer it will easily get me around the camp. I get where you going with the speed concern and I am listening.

This is not my 1st cart. I've built several with a total frame up restores. My last a pds txt that I converted to a series 48v and added a 2 speed EMP motor and 500 amp Alltrax. In the high setting it would go 22mph and torque around 13mph. I sold it and bought an older bad boy buggy and did a frame up restore on it. I like the bad boy but it is slow. Like 12-13 mph wot slow. Thats fine in the woods but making 2-3mile runs to the gate from our camp house takes way to long. It works great and is super quiet but just doesn't fit the bill as a cart that needs to make substantial runs back and forth.

Comparing the power of the rxv to my last txt with the EMP motor it is very similar and maybe even better. It definitely drives and feels better with the ifs front suspension on it.
grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #12
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

GFF,
Thanks for your background recap! Not knowing any better, I had you confused with the guys who sign on here and immediately want information on "How can I make my cart go fast, climb vertical slopes, and do it for cheap, as I don't have any money?" They also tend to be the ones who remove all the batteries, install the new ones 2 weeks later, then ask "Why won't my cart run? I didn't make a diagram, but I'm pretty sure I have it wired correctly".

Good luck with your cart!
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #13
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Quote:
GFF,
Thanks for your background recap! Not knowing any better, I had you confused with the guys who sign on here and immediately want information on "How can I make my cart go fast, climb vertical slopes, and do it for cheap, as I don't have any money?" They also tend to be the ones who remove all the batteries, install the new ones 2 weeks later, then ask "Why won't my cart run? I didn't make a diagram, but I'm pretty sure I have it wired correctly".

Thanks. I love those guys you mentioned...I may have been one of them at one time but can almost take a series cart apart and put it back together with my eyes closed now.

I picked up a 2011 rxv today. Ordered a light bar and soc meter for it this morn. Got to add mud flaps and some rubber or felt to the seat frame to keep it from rattling and she will be ready to rock. It has US 2013 batts in it...hope they last a while...fingers crossed. I did have them tune it up. It will fly (scary) and feels like the take off is much faster now which is what I need. I didn't realize they have a posi rear end either...thumbs up to that!!! I'll post a pic when I get it rigged up.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #14
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Quote:
GFF,

Thanks. I love those guys you mentioned...I may have been one of them at one time but can almost take a series cart apart and put it back together with my eyes closed now.

I picked up a 2011 rxv today. Ordered a light bar and soc meter for it this morn. Got to add mud flaps and some rubber or felt to the seat frame to keep it from rattling and she will be ready to rock. It has US 2013 batts in it...hope they last a while...fingers crossed. I did have them tune it up. It will fly (scary) and feels like the take off is much faster now which is what I need. I didn't realize they have a posi rear end either...thumbs up to that!!! I'll post a pic when I get it rigged up.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #15
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Great!!!
Looking forward to future posts!!!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

All add-ons have to be wired seperate of the original rxv wiring harness. This is very important. ($$$)
this cant be said too frequently on this forum. It isnt like a TXT. Adding a extra wire to a rxv key switch will likely kill a motor controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #17
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

cgtech is right on the money with last post.

the one area where all of your previous cart experience wii HURT you is in dealing with carts electrical system.

RXV's control system is digital signal (PLC Programmable logic controller)
Even trying to add non factory state of charge meter to SOC plug in
on wire harness can cause damage.

Even us experienced RXV techs approach wire harness mods with great care,

I recommend considering the wire harness a "No Go zone"

Good lucK !!!
Keep us posted !!!
PICS !!!

P.S.
Please invest in voltage reducer,,, several posts about problems SPECIFIC to RXV's form battery imbalance.

Last edited by HiTechRedNeck; 01-14-2015 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Left out stuff
Old 01-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #18
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I added one of ScottyB's DVMs to the dash of my RXV, but don't remember where/how I connected it. Although I am an electronics technician, more or less, I didn't realize how touchy the RXV really is about such stuff. My 2013 model has a voltage converter from the factory; I spliced in a lighter receptacle to mine to run small pumps. One is used for spraying weedkiller around my buildings, the other is to transfer water to my travel trailer when we're parked long-term. It works well.

It's a mystery to me how the factory SOC meter functions, mine will just start to drop off of "full" after a fairly long day of operation.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #19
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

I bought the soc meter that plugs and plays in the harness under the dash. Is that ok to use???

All my lights and accessories will be ran off a stand alone 12v mounted under the flip flop seat (bag well) area. I don't like running stuff off the cart batts, even with a voltage reducer.

Got a question...can I cut the wire to the back up alarm or am I stuck with the ear plug/duck tape trick? I've read both ways and minda leary about snipping that wire.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #20
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Factory SOC meter--- Good to go- plugs in to harness- easy install.
Factory SOC meter is gas carts gas gauge-- voltage is supplied by controller to give reading. The gauge is NOT a voltage meter.
Newer software updates change the way the gauge represents available battery juice--
newer software is better approximation of battery capacity.

Running stuff off cart batts through voltage reducer causes no problems .
In most cases the power used is not significant when compared to power used by motor.
Using separate acc. battery is a personal preference and perfectly acceptable.

Hope this helps !!
Have fun !!!

"Got a question...can I cut the wire to the back up alarm or am I stuck with the ear plug/duck tape trick? I've read both ways and minda leary about snipping that wire."

Glad you ask. Snip wire - cart wont go.
Part of carts POST is to check for back up alarm.
No alarm - POST fail.
Back up alarm is required safety equipment (Lawyers) so cart can't move without it.

And snipping wire violates the DFW rule of RXV wire harness.
Plugging a factory accessory into the factory harness connector does not.

Last edited by HiTechRedNeck; 01-14-2015 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Hit post instead of preview..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO