lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2015, 06:23 AM   #21
ecaldwell78
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Problems during solid state conversion

I had a great conversation with ScottyB yesterday. Customer service is beyond reproach! We acutaly did all the tests Sergio recommended and he took the time to go pretty much wire by wire with me. I don't know of anyone else who would take the time to do that! Turns out i had my red key switch wire connected to the bottom lug of my FNR switch then from there running to the solenoid. Now the cart moves forward and reverse, although it was just in the garage! i'm used to a resistor cart where as soon as you press the accelerator pedal the cart starts to creep. With this setup, when i pres the pedal, nothing happens for a couple of seconds, then the cart starts to creep. i don't know if thats just a nuance of the potentiometer or if there is some adjusting that needs to be done. i did check for full travel on the pot and the ohm readings are 0 to about 4800 on the top side. Maybe an adjustment is needed in the controller? Its the 500 Amp GE FSIP. Thanks to everyone who has helped, and a HUGE thanks to Scotty for his patience with my "rogue" wiring of the key switch! Now i just need the throttle to activate sooner and smoother.
ecaldwell78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2015, 06:57 AM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
when i pres the pedal, nothing happens for a couple of seconds, then the cart starts to creep
Perhaps the Controlled Acceleration (CA) potentiometer on the controller got turned all the way counter-clockwise, that would make the controller take 5 secs to ramp up the current to max.

You can turn that Clockwise to increase acceleration (how fast the controller reaches max current).

Any adjustment of the mechanical components would only affect pedal travel vs cart movement, not a time related event.

There are lots of people that sell products, but it is always nice when You deal with someone that understands and enjoys the business.

It is hard to explain what good customer service is, but it is so easy to recognize it.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We checked the pot while I was on the phone it does not appear to me it lags based upon his response time. I suspect the 9 degree temps and batteries sitting at 60% charge (out of the cart for some time now) may be dropping voltage very low under load right now. I would like to see the battery reading 24 hours after a full charge and then again under load = when he tries to go.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #24
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaldwell78 View Post
i'm used to a resistor cart where as soon as you press the accelerator pedal the cart starts to creep. With this setup, when i pres the pedal, nothing happens for a couple of seconds, then the cart starts to creep. i don't know if thats just a nuance of the potentiometer or if there is some adjusting that needs to be done.
I do know exactly what you mean. When my cart was still on resisters, as soon as I pressed the petal & the VGlide hit that first speed - its was instant. Now after my conversion I have the same experience as you noticing a slight delay from my pedal input the actual motor responding. When I was at the factory defaults the delay was ridiculously long.

The first thing I did was turn my throttle delay adjustment [CA screw] all the way down on my FSIP controller so it would be a instant as it will allow, but there still feels like about a .5 second delay. Instant response would be ideal, but I'm completely used to it now and it doesnt bother me at all.

I also checked against my dads '94 36v CC DS controller cart (which is still 100% OEM and unmodified). He has the same slight delay that I have, so I wrote it off as just a byproduct of digital controllers. The benefits FAR outweigh this slight delay in throttle.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #25
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Scotty's probably right about the low charge and low temp. but I also wonder if the resistor on the solenoid could be a factor in the time delay?

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
Scotty's probably right about the low charge and low temp. but I also wonder if the resistor on the solenoid could be a factor in the time delay?

The resistor allows a very low amperage battery pack voltage (36 or 4 signal to precharge the controller. I don't see how this could slow the controllers performance.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #27
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The resistor allows a very low amperage battery pack voltage (36 or 4 signal to precharge the controller. I don't see how this could slow the controllers performance.
It could if it were bad or missing and in these cases will cause high inrush current and could blow the controller.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #28
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I know it's important to match the right resistor to battery pack but never understood the "why" or the precharge aspect.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #29
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ummm ... the resistor job according to Alltrax. I have been taught that this precharge also lessens the strain on the filter capacitors when the voltage is applied and lengthens their useful life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg precharge resistor.JPG (71.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #30
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Ummm ... the resistor job according to Alltrax. I have been taught that this precharge also lessens the strain on the filter capacitors when the voltage is applied and lengthens their useful life.
That's correct were saying the same thing, your focused on the solenoid I'm focused on the controller same thing happens to both controller costs more.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car