lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Default High torque motor getting hot will bigger controller help?

I have a hunting cart that I have been battling heat problems on the motor. It is a sepex system and I have upgraded to a High torque D&D motor. My controller is a curtis 1244 400 amp controller, 48 vlt and 1/0 cables. I am running 23" tires and the terrain is hilly. My new motor is still running very hot(just like the original) and I have programmed the controller per the specs given to me by the manufacturer.
My question is will going from a 400 amp to a 500 amp controller help reduce the heat on the motor?
I about ready to give up on this sepex system and convert all to a series system.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: High torque motor getting hot will bigger controller help?

Do you have access to a temperature gun? Hot is subjective. If you wet your finger and touch it, does it sizzle?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Doesn't sizzle but you cannot hold your hand on it. i am use to my series motors just getting warm.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My series motor gets hotter than 185° F. Don't remember the exact temp, but it approaches water boiling, which is boarder-line too hot.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

I wonder what temp is too hot? I have already overheated two motors on this cart. The first I believe was from overspinning. It was a high torque motor as well but this cart doesnt have the speed controll and I was driving it full throttle 20-30 min straight around the neighborhood with some of it down hill. I was doing this to try and break in the batteries when I first got it and trying to test the driving distance on charge. The motor still works but it melted alot of the plastic inside and would sometimes "cut out" while driving.
Second motor we smoked the first time out. It was a plumquik motor and we were simply driving the hunting lease with about 670# of passenger between two of us. Don't think that motor was made for the terrain and weight.
New motor gets hot but I try to watch it so I don't burn it up. I have recalibrated the controller but it still gets warmer than I like. Just wondering if a 500 amp controller will make much difference in the performance and temp of the motor.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

More amps = the potential for more heat. If you could program your controller to maybe 350 amps, it would limit your torque, but also the heat.

Also, those bigger tires aren't helping.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Have you contacted the motor manufacturer to see what they would recommend with your motor/controller/tire size/driving conditions?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Yes, they made the motor recommendation and the controller settings. I have emailed them about going up to a 500amp controller but haven't heard back yet. It's the biggest baddest motor they offer for a 48vlt sepex. May not get any better.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Ask them how hot is too hot, and maybe check out a temp gun. I found some as cheap as $17 on Amazon.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Too hot is approaching 212º plus or minus . Sepex motors do make more heat than series. Higher voltage should reduce your heat some. Also if you are doing a lot of slow driving this will increase heat, try changing your driving habits or reduce tire size.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO