lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: What Are Advantages of 72v AC???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
The higher voltage does not mean higher power. The little motor in your vacuum cleaner runs on 120 volts, but it won't even make a golf cart roll.
That is not exactly a fair comparison.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #12
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Thanks again for everyone's time to share such info - it is interesting.

One question that I didn't ask, but was hoping to get insight into, has (I think) been answered. That is - why was the controller in my new 72v system of lower amperage than what I was reading here that many were upgrading to. If I have been reading correctly, AC does not need these very large amp controllers to supply adequate power - correct?

When I was mentioning maintenance as a possible downside of the larger AC systems, I was thinking also of batteries. First - with having to replace more batteries periodically - but I was also wondering if there were any differences in actual battery life and/or differences or concerns in the actual maintenance of the batteries.
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by konakid View Post

One question that I didn't ask, but was hoping to get insight into, has (I think) been answered. That is - why was the controller in my new 72v system of lower amperage than what I was reading here that many were upgrading to. If I have been reading correctly, AC does not need these very large amp controllers to supply adequate power - correct?

When I was mentioning maintenance as a possible downside of the larger AC systems, I was thinking also of batteries. First - with having to replace more batteries periodically - but I was also wondering if there were any differences in actual battery life and/or differences or concerns in the actual maintenance of the batteries.
Back to my original statement of VOLTS x AMPS = WATTS. Higher voltage does not need as many amps to achieve the desired wattage or power level.

I don't think AC or DC has any bearing on battery maintenance except that AC might be slightly more efficient but higher voltage typically means more batteries. That could be a slightly bigger cost factor. However, similarly sized (physical, not AH) 6x12v are roughly the same or sometimes LESS than 6x8v.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

72v = more holes to put water in
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #15
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
72v = more holes to put water in
Old 05-14-2015, 01:38 AM   #16
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
I don't think AC or DC has any bearing on battery maintenance except that AC might be slightly more efficient but higher voltage typically means more batteries. That could be a slightly bigger cost factor. However, similarly sized (physical, not AH) 6x12v are roughly the same or sometimes LESS than 6x8v.
Yeah - regarding the vehicle I just ordered, I was curious as to why they used 9x8v batteries instead of 6x12v. Was there a reason for that? When I do eventually need to replace them - should/could I go that route? If I can easily fit them, of course.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #17
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Simplifying again--

More lead = more run time.
8v batts seem to last longer as far as run time and years of service.
In RXV's 6 year old 12v's are rare. 6 year old 6 & 8's are common in TXT's.

Probably a good batt configuration to stick with.

JohnieB is resident battery guru-- he can provide AH charts and stuff for 8v vs 12v.
He is best source around for batt configuration info.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by konakid View Post
Yeah - regarding the vehicle I just ordered, I was curious as to why they used 9x8v batteries instead of 6x12v. Was there a reason for that? When I do eventually need to replace them - should/could I go that route? If I can easily fit them, of course.
From a business point of view, the fundamental reason is profit margin.
Fewer battery failure during warranty period and a greater driving range to advertise.

From an engineering point of view, it is Storage Capacity.

A lead-acid battery pack is made up of 2V cells. A 36V pack has 18 cells connected series, 24 cells make a 48V pack and it takes 36 2-volt cells to make a 72V battery pack.

The cells typically come packed 3, 4 or 6 to a box and are called 6V, 8V and 12V batteries. Since the boxes (battery cases) used all have roughly the same height, width and length, to pack a greater number of cells in the same sized box, you have to use smaller cells, which have less storage capacity.

Attached is a chart comparing the kWh of storage (and weight) for 72V packs made up from various Trojan 8V and 12V batteries.

In a nutshell, the higher the kWh of storage, the further the cart can be driven on a single charge and the longer the batteries will last before they need to be replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72V pack.jpg (76.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #19
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Thanks for all the great info guys.

My curiosity always gets satisfied when I post here.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO