lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RXV Battery post melting!

What would cause the positive battery terminal on the rear battery to melt on my RXV? This is the second time it has happened and the bolt was tight on the post. I will be driving it and it starts to melt which loosens the connection and then it just STOPS because it looses the connection. Then I have to limp it back home. It's all stock right now aside from being programmed for high speed. 19-20 mph with stock tires. Should the cables be upgraded? I'm getting ready to install a 6" lift and 22" tires I have and I want to resolve this so I can actually drive it....
Also the cable that goes to that post was very hot but only half or it. I couldn't touch by the terminal but I could hold it at the other end.

ARS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: RXV Battery post melting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS1 View Post
What would cause the positive battery terminal on the rear battery to melt on my RXV? This is the second time it has happened and the bolt was tight on the post. I will be driving it and it starts to melt which loosens the connection and then it just STOPS because it looses the connection. Then I have to limp it back home. It's all stock right now aside from being programmed for high speed. 19-20 mph with stock tires. Should the cables be upgraded? I'm getting ready to install a 6" lift and 22" tires I have and I want to resolve this so I can actually drive it....
Also the cable that goes to that post was very hot but only half or it. I couldn't touch by the terminal but I could hold it at the other end.

I'm no expert , but the photo looks like you may have had some arching between the bolt and cable. You may want to get a good wire brush and polish up that cable.
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecky50 View Post
I'm no expert , but the photo looks like you may have had some arching between the bolt and cable. You may want to get a good wire brush and polish up that cable.
There was but only because it melted and came loose. It was clean and tight when we installed the battery and the cart maybe has 2 hours on it since.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
There was but only because it melted and came loose. It was clean and tight when we installed the battery and the cart maybe has 2 hours on it since.
2 hours bumpy ride ?
riding will loosen nut allowing arc
if possible tighten nut
if not you will need to ether get a new battery and cable or repair post and new cable

check nuts weekly

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...melt-down.html
Old 06-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:

BTW, one thing I also did was to put stainless steel lock washers on all cable connections.
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Forgive me if I'm wrong... Is this a 36 volt cart? It is programmed for high speed correct? Lower voltage carts running higher speeds will draw more amperage and amps equal heat.... Looking at your picture I see a at best a 6 gauge cable with a very wimpy looking sheet metal lug that is not going to pass amps very well without heating up. You could also have internal resistance with the cable itself causing issues. Replace all your cables with some better quality and move up to 4 gauge...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
crash test dummy

you are not wrong with the better cables .. look at photo and you will see the arc marks at the nut .. to me that says loose nut
Old 06-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong... Is this a 36 volt cart? It is programmed for high speed correct? Lower voltage carts running higher speeds will draw more amperage and amps equal heat.... Looking at your picture I see a at best a 6 gauge cable with a very wimpy looking sheet metal lug that is not going to pass amps very well without heating up. You could also have internal resistance with the cable itself causing issues. Replace all your cables with some better quality and move up to 4 gauge...
No its a 48v AC drive cart. It has 4 12v batteries.

The post stills seems ok so I guess I'll get the nut off and upgrade all my cables and add lock washers on top of that and hope for the best. Was hoping to get another couple years out of these batteries.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Could the SS lock washers be causing an issue? You go from lead to copper to a zinc coated or SS nut normally. The SS washers you used, are those the split type or the bent-fin (IDK the real name) type?

I'm wondering if you used the bent-fin type and if so, that might provide less surface area where it meets the post/nut. Less surface area would mean the amperage is confined to the surface area it has and that should cause more heat.

It would be worth a shot to wire brush the snot out of the terminals, remove the lock washers and retry. Run hard, but not long and check for heat.

I'm not the expert, but if the battery still works I'd give it a try.

Good luck!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
crash test dummy

i see no lock washer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO