lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
spdfrek
Not Yet Wild

Default wont crank, new solenoid

This a frankencart that I bought and can't get to start. I believe it's a mid 90's motor and electronics. Kawasaki FE290D motor.

- New wiring (ran it same as old)
- New Solenoid
- Old Key in pics, but I had a new key switch that didn't work either.

Solenoid gets power to smaller posts with key on. Cart will fire when jumping solenoid with a screw driver.

There are no limit switches, neutral switches, etc. The electric in the photos is it.

What should I test or fix?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151022_194547.jpg (120.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20151022_194603.jpg (109.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20151022_194652.jpg (195.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20151022_194702.jpg (265.2 KB, 0 views)
spdfrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: wont crank, new solenoid

In the last pic... the rectangle box is the rev limiter, the single brown wire is connected to the purple w/yellow stripe wire,
It should connect to one of the mounting bolts for a ground!

As for it not cranking... it's kind of difficult to diagnose via internet on a frankencart!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:10 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Just noticed that 1 small lug on the solenoid doesn't have anything connected to it,
I think it may be the lug to the limit switches, and then to ground,
and since you don't have any limit switches...

Here's a basic wiring diagram that may (or may not) help!
Click pic to enlarge:

95gaswiring.jpg
Old 10-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
spdfrek
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply!

Ok, the rev wire is grounded to battery, it's just the same color as the other wire.

I see the other hot (?) wire going to the small post on the solenoid in your pic. I tried hot wiring all 3 posts on the old solenoid and it won't fire. What does it take for the solenoid to engage? I thought once the "S" post (smaller bottom post) was hot then it would engage the solenoid?

I would assume you could eliminate all the limit/micro switches since they are just completing a circuit? (I have zero experience with carts btw)

BTW - I just replaced both battery cables and ground the paint off the frame where the ground connects. All ohms test are within range.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Looking at the pics of your solenoid, it looks like you have the 2 smaller wires from the ignition switch connected to the same terminals as the heavy wires that go to the starter. Those 2 small wires go to the other 2 terminals on the starter solenoid, to activate the electromagnet inside that activates the connection between the 2 heavy wires to the starter. They don't connect directly to those wires. Rewire that solenoid and it should work.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
spdfrek
Not Yet Wild

The blue wire on the solenoid connects to the bottom/small/S post on. It's just blocked in the pic. The smaller red wire from the solenoid goes to the voltage regulator from the large post which also runs to starter.

I can't get this new solenoid to engage when running a hotwire directly to to smaller post. Shouldn't this engage it without the key?
Old 10-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Those 2 small wires run to the 2 small posts on the solenoid, they are at 90 degrees from the larger posts. Neither one of those 2 smaller wires connects to either of the larger posts.
There should be 4 separate connections to the solenoid, not 2 or 3, but 4.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Here's a pic of the stock setup...

085.JPG

Don't quote me... but, it's to my understanding via the wiring diagram,
that the key switch powers one small terminal of the solenoid,
and eventually goes to ground (through the limit switches that you don't have) on the other small terminal to activate the start circuit...
I could be wrong, but I've got a hunch that the other small terminal needs to go somewhere! (ground?)

Again... Don't quote me!
Old 10-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
spdfrek
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thanks. I hear ya, I need all 4 posts wired.

The current wiring is attached.

The 4th post does have juice when key is on. What should this 4th post be wired to? I've tried wiring this post direct to battery to see if the solenoid engages, but it does not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartwiring.jpg (36.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Your "I" terminal needs to connect to ground.
When you apply 12V from the starter switch, like I said, it energizes an electromagnet inside the solenoid. You are not applying current properly with your wiring. One of the small terminals has to be +12V (from the key switch), the other needs to be connected to ground somewhere. It doesn't matter which is which, but that's where the connection is made to the solenoid, through BOTH of the small terminals, not how you have it wired.
Try with a small jumper wire from the battery + and another from the battery - attached to the small posts on the starter solenoid and you will hear the starter engage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car