lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2006 club car precedent speed check

Hi I'm new to carting and just picked up one. 48.4v across bank while standing after charging overnight. A dashboard meter I installed reads the same voltage and after driving for a while, then going up very slight incline it drops as low as 43v. Question is that a normal voltage drop? Should I go deeper in battery troubleshooting?
I used a GPS and read about 8mph and 11mph down a very slight incline. I've changed the speed sensor and magnet to a "high speed" and maybe gained 1 or 2 mph. Testing the run away feature it did beep and try to slow the cart from running away but I changed the speed sensor anyway as it was cheap. Suggestions on next items to check/replace. Thank you
jhandshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
lweford
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2006 club car precedent speed check

I'd start with batteries. Or at least figure out why your voltage is so low.
lweford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok then I'm assuming the voltage should not drop across the whole bank at all on charged batteries even on a slight incline? If I'm wrong what would a typical drop on new batteries?
Old 11-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
Nsane
Gone Wild

Club Car

How old are your batteries? The voltage you state seems kind of low to me.
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You are starting with dead batteries. They should be 51 volts after charge and 8 hour wait. The eBay speed sensors are not setup for the correct voltage on these carts. Get a club car Oem sensor.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would put the old speed sensor back in and work on the battery problem.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree the batteries are definitely too low after a charge, You need to figure out if they are old or being discharged.

Since the speed sensor is detecting movement, You may want to test for the other problem that will default to "limp mode", which is a "Solenoid Welded" condition.

With the key switch OFF, measure the voltage between the 2 solenoid big posts, you should get a few volts indicating the pre-charge resistor is providing power to the controller capacitors.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great answers.. I don't know how old the batteries are but will Google hoe to decipher the code on them. I will check the voltage after charging and then after 8hrs. The speed sensor I bought was from Amazon and do was the magnet. Both were first my pq0640-688848 cart and putting them back in is definitely an option. Limp mode? So under normal conditions if the cart detects movement when it's not supposed to then it sends a slight signal to motor to try and counter the moment, at same time sounds the horn.. Ok so that's what it does. Also getting back to Sergio detail, main power to operate the motor is only supposed to be allowed when peddle depressed and solenoid closes allowing full voltage but with it not calling the bleed resistor allowed a small amount dropped through it to feed the control/cpu.. And therfore if it's a discharge issue draining my battery then by checking current draw from batteries or voltage across solenoid/resistor I could see that. I will start there.. 1 additional question... What should speed be on stock cart (SN above) on flat pavement and how to tell what "speed code" it's set for? I see my control box behind the batteries has a date code of 4/12 if that's what that means.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Let me try to clarify the operation of the IQ system you have.

Speed Sensor:
The speed sensor sends signals to the controller to tell how fast the motor is rotating. It sends 4 pulses per motor revolution and the motor must turn 12.315 times for both wheels to make 1 full revolution.

If the controller does not detect pulses or the pulses are not consistent, the controller goes into a "safety mode" referred to as "limp mode" (50% power).

When the pedal is not being pressed and the controller receives "pulses" from the motor speed sensor, it powers the motor field coil and shorts the armature in order to prevent the motor from running. If the "pulses" continue, the controller activates the buzzer.

The "push the cart" method is a simple way to verify if the speed sensor is working or not.

Main Solenoid:
When the solenoid is OFF, the pre-charge resistor provides a small amount of current to keep the large filter capacitors inside the controller charged.

The current flowing through that resistors causes a small voltage drop that can be measured.

The controller tests the voltage on the B+ before and after it activates the solenoid.

If the voltages are the same, the controller assumes the solenoid was already engaged before the controller activated it, this causes a "Main contacts welded" fault in the controller.

The default "safety mode" for this condition is also "limp mode" or 50% power.

Your batteries should have a date code (1 Letter + 1 Digit number) sticker or engraving on a battery post to show month and year.

Measure the voltage right after the charger shuts OFF and then again 8 hours later.

Speed codes:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...peed_codes.jpg

Last edited by Sergio; 11-16-2016 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Added Speed Codes:
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #10
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That is awesome. You really know your carts. Thanks I've got homework to do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car