lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with possible PDS purchase

Hi all,

First of all, I apologize for asking for somewhat uneducated questions. I've been looking into carts for a few weeks, but found this amazing forum and thought you could prob help me greatly...

My wife and kids want a cart to zoom around the neighborhood and to the store. The used carts I've driven (mostly club carts) don't seem to have the quick pickup or the top speed of the carts I've driven at the golf course. The fun is quick acceleration and enough speed so you don't feel like my grandpa on the way to the pool. :-)

I found a 2008 exgo PDS. The starting acceleration feels a bit better, not top speed was 14-15 mph. I was told that with the chip it should hit 19-20. He's installing today and I'll test again tomorrow.

I also drove a fixed up 2012 exgo(not sure the model) - chip, big tires - it was perfect. It accelerated quickly and hit 20-21mph. It was also $2k more and out of my budget.

So looking for...

- your opinion on the 2008 PDS.

- if the chip would do what they say?

- does the chip affect acceleration too, or just top speed?

- anything I should be aware or weary about.

FYI: I'll be looking to add a rear seat too.

Thanks for reading my long post. I really appreciate the help.

LBB
LBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Help with possible PDS purchase

It would sure be nice to know the other "comparison cart". The Pds Will need upgrades to make it "peppy" & reliable with a 4-seat setup. The "chip" will increase speed only, zero change for torque.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm partial to a 2008 PDS since I have one, or at least I started out with one.

On stock height (18") tires and with the freedom chip installed, it has a top speed on a hard level surface of about 18.5 MPH since the controller limits the motor to about 4400 RPM. Without RPM limiting, a stock PDS motor will spin up to about 5600 RPM with a 36V battery pack, which is about 24 MPH.

Drop in an Alltrax XCT48400PDS controller and upgrade the solenoid (stock is only rated at 85A) as well as replacing all 10 of the high current cables to 4Ga or thicker and it will run neck and neck with the 2012 you test drove and might have better acceleration and top end.

-------------------
Something to be aware/weary about: Tires.

Low pressure tires (<10 PSI max inflation pressure) require more torque to turn and will reduce top speed. Stick with >20 PSI max pressure tires.

Tall tires also require more torque to turn and slow down how fast the motor turns for any given cart speed, and SepEx motors don't like low RPMs.

Also, if you go over 20", you'll have to lift the cart frame and body off the axles for tire clearance, which raises the center of gravity of a short wheelbase, narrow track vehicle and makes cart more susceptible to rollover type accidents, especially if young and/or inexperienced drivers will be operating it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm thinking the 'other' cart was a TXT48. I have both carts and the TXT48 is quicker but the PDS is no slouch with the XCT400 controller installed -
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
coosa
Gone Wild

A 2008 PDS with upgraded cables, controller, and 22" tires. I replaced the rear seat with the bed. It will run 26 mph on flat pavement, and that is fast enough, imo. I've gotten it over 30 going downhill and its easy to tell the cart was not made to go that fast.

Good luck on finding what you want.

coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Be very careful about letting the cart run that fast because at that speed the motor is more than likely spinning well above what it was supposed to and can come apart.. For it to lock up at that speed is baaaadddddd.. ie.. broken pieces and possible bones..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Be very careful about letting the cart run that fast because at that speed the motor is more than likely spinning well above what it was supposed to and can come apart.. For it to lock up at that speed is baaaadddddd.. ie.. broken pieces and possible bones..
If my memory is right, JohnnieB figured it up for me and I am under the max rpm for the motor. But it is for sure dangerous and I seldom run it at top speed.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:24 AM   #8
LBB
Not Yet Wild

First of all, thank you for all the replies so far! Really appreciate it. I did read them that night, but was on my phone and couldn't easily reply till I got back into town...

I tried to get as much info as to make it easier to get feedback from you and learn myself.

The had sold the **** 2008 PDS when I returned the next day, but they're shipping another in this weekend. I didn't get to drive it with the darn chip, which is really what I needed to do to know whether it's going to suit my needs before I put a lot more money into it.

So the "fixed up" cart I drove, that accelerated fast and hit about 20-21 mph was a (2013 or 2014) Exgo. Supposedly the only upgrade (beyond the cosmetics) was the 14" tires and the chip. I have some trouble believing that, since it drove so much better than the other carts I tried, but maybe those are the only changes.

I also drove a stock 2014 and was shocked at how slow it went. Maybe up to 15 mph after gathering steam. That's another reason I question whether only the chip and tires of the fixed up model could improve it that much.

I drove a 2012 RXV. They wanted $2300. I did accelerate a bit faster than the PDS, but only got up to 14 or 15mph. No chip obviously, but still it would seem better to put the $700 difference into the PDS. I'll need to bone up on the difference between the PDS and RXV. I only got "better components" from the dealer.

Let me know if I left any helpful info out.

Based on this info, thought?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:24 AM   #9
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
It would sure be nice to know the other "comparison cart". The Pds Will need upgrades to make it "peppy" & reliable with a 4-seat setup. The "chip" will increase speed only, zero change for torque.
Hmmm... Sucks if true. The acceleration is much of the fun. Is a 48v what makes much of the difference with the speed off the line. I've driven many carts at on the golf course that were very peppy. :-)
Old 11-29-2016, 01:31 AM   #10
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I'm partial to a 2008 PDS since I have one, or at least I started out with one.

On stock height (18") tires and with the freedom chip installed, it has a top speed on a hard level surface of about 18.5 MPH since the controller limits the motor to about 4400 RPM. Without RPM limiting, a stock PDS motor will spin up to about 5600 RPM with a 36V battery pack, which is about 24 MPH.

Drop in an Alltrax XCT48400PDS controller and upgrade the solenoid (stock is only rated at 85A) as well as replacing all 10 of the high current cables to 4Ga or thicker and it will run neck and neck with the 2012 you test drove and might have better acceleration and top end.

-------------------
Something to be aware/weary about: Tires.

Low pressure tires (<10 PSI max inflation pressure) require more torque to turn and will reduce top speed. Stick with >20 PSI max pressure tires.

Tall tires also require more torque to turn and slow down how fast the motor turns for any given cart speed, and SepEx motors don't like low RPMs.

Also, if you go over 20", you'll have to lift the cart frame and body off the axles for tire clearance, which raises the center of gravity of a short wheelbase, narrow track vehicle and makes cart more susceptible to rollover type accidents, especially if young and/or inexperienced drivers will be operating it.
Perfect! Great advice all around. I do have kids that will want to drive it, so appreciate the safety info.

So it sounds like you think with just the chip we'd be at about 18-19 mph? And would you say the new chip would also increase acceleration on this cart?

And with a new controller about 24 mph? For reference, it looks like the Alltrax controller is about $500? https://www.amazon.com/Alltrax-XCT-4.../dp/B016QROQBE

How much for the solenoid and wiring you mentioned?

Thanks man!

Tags
chip, ezgo, pds
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO