lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2016, 01:36 AM   #11
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help with possible PDS purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
A 2008 PDS with upgraded cables, controller, and 22" tires. I replaced the rear seat with the bed. It will run 26 mph on flat pavement, and that is fast enough, imo. I've gotten it over 30 going downhill and its easy to tell the cart was not made to go that fast.

Good luck on finding what you want.

Wow - a beauty. Mine would be for the street, but that sucker looks ready for just about any road.

Did you use the parts mentioned in a previous post (see below), or something else?
Drop in an Alltrax XCT48400PDS controller and upgrade the solenoid (stock is only rated at 85A) as well as replacing all 10 of the high current cables to 4Ga or thicker
LBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #12
swm63
Gone Wild

LBB,

While you're looking and pricing, you need to check out Scottyb's site.
Best prices and advice around.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

And he's a site sponsor!
swm63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Be very careful about letting the cart run that fast because at that speed the motor is more than likely spinning well above what it was supposed to and can come apart.. For it to lock up at that speed is baaaadddddd.. ie.. broken pieces and possible bones..
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
If my memory is right, JohnnieB figured it up for me and I am under the max rpm for the motor. But it is for sure dangerous and I seldom run it at top speed.
With 22" tires and 12.44:1 gears, at 30 MPH the motor is spinning a whisper over 5700 RPM and if the motor is in reasonably good condition, it will likely handle an occasional diet of 6000 RPM (31.6 MPH), but I wouldn't take it above 6500 RPM (34.2 MPH), especially if it was hot.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
1. Perfect! Great advice all around. I do have kids that will want to drive it, so appreciate the safety info.

2. So it sounds like you think with just the chip we'd be at about 18-19 mph? And would you say the new chip would also increase acceleration on this cart?

3. And with a new controller about 24 mph? For reference, it looks like the Alltrax controller is about $500? https://www.amazon.com/Alltrax-XCT-4.../dp/B016QROQBE

4. How much for the solenoid and wiring you mentioned?

Thanks man!

2. The "Freedom Chip" will get you about 18 MPH. Adding a rear seat will knock that down some. Acceleration is based on low end torque and motor produces the same torque in all four PDS modes, so acceleration will be the same in all four modes. Top speed and amount of regenerative braking are the only f-differences.

3. You can get an XCT48400PDS kit with a 200A solenoid for $479 at: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltra...-controls.html

4. Solenoid is part of the controller kit. 4Ga silver soldered cables are $179 for a 6 X 6V battery pack with a XCT controller. 2Ga are $209.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:40 AM   #15
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by swm63 View Post
LBB,

While you're looking and pricing, you need to check out Scottyb's site.
Best prices and advice around.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

And he's a site sponsor!
Thanks - already spotted Scotty's site and his many helpful posts.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:45 AM   #16
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

2. The "Freedom Chip" will get you about 18 MPH. Adding a rear seat will knock that down some. Acceleration is based on low end torque and motor produces the same torque in all four PDS modes, so acceleration will be the same in all four modes. Top speed and amount of regenerative braking are the only f-differences.

3. You can get an XCT48400PDS kit with a 200A solenoid for $479 at: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltra...-controls.html

4. Solenoid is part of the controller kit. 4Ga silver soldered cables are $179 for a 6 X 6V battery pack with a XCT controller. 2Ga are $209.
Thanks Johnnie for the detailed response. Clears some things up.

So the chip won't improve acceleration. Based on your previous post, the new controller will though?

Drop in an Alltrax XCT48400PDS controller and upgrade the solenoid (stock is only rated at 85A) as well as replacing all 10 of the high current cables to 4Ga or thicker and it will run neck and neck with the 2012 you test drove and might have better acceleration and top end.

Darn - $200 for the new wiring is more than I'd hoped, but sounds like a wise investment if you replace the controller.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:00 AM   #17
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

think of the wires as a water hose-only flow so much per there diameter...i made my own-but after seeing scottyb`s i would spend the bucks....2g for me.
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
-------------
1. So the chip won't improve acceleration. Based on your previous post, the new controller will though?

2. Darn - $200 for the new wiring is more than I'd hoped, but sounds like a wise investment if you replace the controller.
1. Correct, the chip will not improve acceleration, but a higher ampacity controller will.

The amount of torque produced by the motor determines the acceleration rate and torque is proportional to the amps flowing through the motor and a DC motor will draw the maximum amps it is capable of drawing at 0 RPM (stalled). A controller is an amp limiting device that limits the amp flow through the motor from 0A to the max amps it is designed to pass. By design, a stock PDS controller will pass 300A while an aftermarket controller designed to pass 400A will allow the motor to draw 33% more amps as it accelerates from 0 RPM, thereby increasing the acceleration rate.

2. 2Ga cable were my first upgrade. I got my 2008 PDS in 2011, so the OEM cables were only three years old and looked good to me, but I got a discernible increase in overall performance except for top speed, which was limited by the stock PDS controller.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #19
coosa
Gone Wild

The camo cart was already upgraded when I bought it, though I found they cut a few corners and had to add a few upgrades myself. It has the Altrax 500 controller with larger cables, solenoid, and tires. I liked it so much I bought another one and built it to keep at my farm. I bought all the components from ScottyB and it has been a trouble free cart. I've had one minor issue due to it sitting up too long, but a good cleaning of all connections fixed it. This cart has low pressure tires because I already had them and the cart is only used on dirt. They knock about 2 mph off the top speed, but this cart seldom sees top speed.

Beware of the carts similar to mine that you see for sale at feed stores and such places. Most of them have been lifted and bigger tires installed and maybe a rear seat added. They look good, but open them up and they are just stock underneath. Such carts are doomed to failure. They will run over 20 mph because of the tires, but won't last long.

The controller JohnnieB recommended is an update from the ones I have. Also, the original controller on the camo cart failed after 2 years. It was used, so I don't know how it had been treated. But a 500 amp controller is too much for my factory motor anyway. I have turned them both down to 80% and essentially made them 400 amps. They lost a little torque, but I can't tell if it changed top speed. If it did, it isn't much.

Good luck finding what you want. The PDS is a great system.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:06 AM   #20
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Correct, the chip will not improve acceleration, but a higher ampacity controller will.

The amount of torque produced by the motor determines the acceleration rate and torque is proportional to the amps flowing through the motor and a DC motor will draw the maximum amps it is capable of drawing at 0 RPM (stalled). A controller is an amp limiting device that limits the amp flow through the motor from 0A to the max amps it is designed to pass. By design, a stock PDS controller will pass 300A while an aftermarket controller designed to pass 400A will allow the motor to draw 33% more amps as it accelerates from 0 RPM, thereby increasing the acceleration rate.

2. 2Ga cable were my first upgrade. I got my 2008 PDS in 2011, so the OEM cables were only three years old and looked good to me, but I got a discernible increase in overall performance except for top speed, which was limited by the stock PDS controller.
Something's wrong - the way you're explaining this to me is actually making sense!

Regarding #1. This makes sense. Thank you. So...

+ I've seen 500a controllers as well. My guess is that you need a better motor than the PDS has, that can handle more RPM to support a 500a?

+ Does 34v vs 48v relate to any of these factors?

+ If so, do any of the stock Ezgo carts handle a 500+a?

+ So I now think I understand how it affects acceleration rate. How does the new controller also allow more speed? (if it does)

Sorry, but this is so helpful to know. :-)

Tags
chip, ezgo, pds
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO