lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
irwin fletcher
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor choices

Trying to determine between motors for my precedent IQ. I have a 6" lift kit and 23" tires and 4-12v batteries that are 1-1/2yrs old. Mostly flat ground in my area. I do have a rear seat but rarley have anyone back there. Looking to increase speed and add a little more torque. A steady 25mph with two adults would be great.

I have been looking at the alltrax xct400 and either the AMD 3294 or the admiral A2 motors. I know I need to upgrade cables, solenoid, etc...too and plan on doing that. I can't really find enough information to determine if these two motors are even in the same category class. Maybe there is something else I should consider?

Would like some advice/opinions on this before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance.
irwin fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor choices

The 9hp A2 motor and XCT400 (or XCT500) will do what you ask are asking at a reasonable price.
The other 5hp motor costs more like the 12hp A4 which is considerably larger (more torque) and requires a 500a control. Unfortunately there seems to be no standard performance rating system used by all manufactures which can make comparison challenging. Hills and big tires have a tremendous effect on power loss. Often bigger is better is the best choice.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Unfortunately there seems to be no standard performance rating system used by all manufactures which can make comparison challenging.
That was an issue I had trying to figure out how to compare. Ended up making numerous calls to Vic at D&D to ask questions and more questions. I just received a Es-5 custom high torque motor. Haven't installed it yet and guess I'll never really know how it compares to someone else's. All I know is it weighs over 60# compared to under 40 on my Bandit. And if what I'm being told is true, will use less amperage than a higher speed motor. But there doesn't seem to be uniform specs used to compare.
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Twincam47
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have a 2009 Precedent, 6" lift, 22" tires, 4-12V Batts, 500xct, 400a solenoid, 2 gauge cables and an A2 motor. 25mph with plenty of torque.
Twincam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam47 View Post
I have a 2009 Precedent, 6" lift, 22" tires, 4-12V Batts, 500xct, 400a solenoid, 2 gauge cables and an A2 motor. 25mph with plenty of torque.
I hear this result over and over. Thanks for chiming in
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

I love my PQ executioner if torque is not a major concern (Hills/offroad etc).

I get 32mph, gets to 30mph very quick. Will still do 32mph with 2 people and the window up. I use it on flat paved roads so it's perfect for me.
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
irwin fletcher
Not Yet Wild

Is there a perceivable difference in battery usage between the 400 amp controller and the 500? I was leaning toward the 400 intially because of that but I keep seeing that most everyone is using 500 amp controllers. Is there anything more to that than torque?

One of the things I am trying to understand better is how much better performance I will have with a new set up over the stock motor and controller. It will run at 21-22mph with just me in the cart and a steady 20 with wife and child. But there is definitely some torque missing when they are both with me. Acceleration is fair but in all honesty this is my first cart and I've never driven anyone else's so there isn't much to compare to for me.

I'm willing to spend the money but don't want to be disappointed when the work is done.

I've even considered the AC motor kit from AMD with the Curtis controller that everything carts sells...just not sure if that is worth the money either? I do appreciate the feedback and look forward to what else you might have to add.

Thanks
irwin fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

You'll get more torque with a 500 amp than you will with a 400.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car