lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
rustylst
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default UK Carryall 2 OBC bypass

Hi all I have a 2012 road legal Carryall 2 that is supposed to do according to the brochure 30 to 35 miles on a full charge I am only getting 13 to 14. After I do a full charge with the IQ Plus charger and do a few mile I get the 10 + 4 second warning on the battery light I have ordered another type of charger to try and see if that help. I have looked on forum for help and I was wondering if the plug on the 2nd photo is the one from the OBC that I need to unplug and jump. Another strange thing that happens is when I disconnect the Pos+ lead on the batteries when the gauge say for example 3 bars left it goes to a full 10 when I reconnect pos lead..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010399.JPG (168.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010400.JPG (154.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010402.JPG (152.5 KB, 0 views)
rustylst is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: UK Carryall 2 OBC bypass

Remove that plastic cover protecting the Controller area, the OBC 6-pin connector should be inside located a few inches from the OBC itself.

That plug on your picture looks like part of the AC drive system (speed sensor, etc).

There are different ways to reset those SOC meters, some reset to Full anytime they loose voltage.

If You disconnect the batteries in order to reset the OBC, leave the battery pack disconnected for more than 10 minutes.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
rustylst
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi Sergio,
Thanks for reply I am not going to use the charging receptacle on the Carryall I am going straight off the + & - terminals so I have fitted a 48v isolator switch as a safety measure to isolate the hole battery system, so does that mean I am always going to get a false reading off the battery gauge or will the gauge work when I connect the blue and white wires when I do the OBC bypass or will I have to rewire the gauge or even have to get a different one.. I have attached photo of charger on order. Will just unplugging the OBC and connecting the blue and white wire work as I am not using receptacle.. Thanks for your help. Rusty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charger.jpg (78.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The OBC Controller lockout by-pass, Blue to White wire on 6-pin connector, is needed if the OBC has failed or to prevent the OBC from going to sleep when it does not detect a charger plugged in after a few days.

You may have a battery problem and not necessarily an OBC problem, but the new charger should answer that questions.

You don't have to isolate the batteries to charge with a different charger, but if you do, remember that Your battery pack can deliver a lot of current so You need a pretty robust isolator.

The gauge You have may reset to full once it detects an elevated charging voltage, if not, just buy a digital voltmeter and get familiar with the voltage levels as an approximation to SOC.

If You do use the isolator, the positive wire that connects to the SOC gauge should remain connected to the battery post so it never looses its voltage reference.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #5
rustylst
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have on order a digital voltmeter the 3 red digit type the one shown on the forum as well as the charger. So am I right to assume I can leave the OBC connected and not isolate the batteries and use a non IQ plus charger without damaging anything. The isolator is a Durite Rotary Marine Battery Isolator - 300A 48V.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car