lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Torque Question Electric vs Gas

Not sure if this post should be in Gas CC or electric CC forum, LOL.

Anyway, I have all the components to build a hunting cart, new Body, aggressive 23" tires/Wheels, and lift kit.

I have a 97 electric DS and a 2001 Gas DS. In the stock configuration, will either give me enough torque to spin those big tires? If so, which would be best?

If not, how is the best, most economical way to get the needed torque? Upgrade electric Motor and Controller or Upgrade clutch and/or other components on the gas model.

I have seen EZGO gas with big tires that just will not pull, not sure if there was a problem with them or it was just the physics
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Bigbondo007
Gone Wild

Default Re: Torque Question Electric vs Gas

I towed my 95 ext cab silverado spinning tires with the front raised off the ground the entire time. 95 ds with 48v, 700 amp controller and 11.5hp motor with 28 inch gators. Go to any shop in Fitzgerald GA and every one has a factory electric cart used as a yard mule. Push anything from yugos to rvs and dump trucks.
Bigbondo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

With the key wording "stock configuration", no it won't spin those tires. It can be done but it will put a dent in your wallet.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Bigbondo007
Gone Wild

BIG DENT. Either way, if you go with big tires and you want big power you have to make a decision over which way. Motor controller and cables with electric or clutch, springs, and gears and maybe a big block kit. Gas engines have a hp rating at a specific higher than idle rpm and electric is gonna give you everything it's got as soon as you hit the pedal
Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
HBR
Gone Wild

I am not sure I would pick either in stock form with those big tires.

If you really had to do it, I would guess the gas. You probably would burn up something in the electric cart when you go in the woods with that setup.

Now if you are going to start throwing money at a cart, how deep into the woods are you going and is noise a concern?
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #6
Bigbondo007
Gone Wild

700amp alltrax and 8.5hp
Old 02-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
Bigbondo007
Gone Wild

Pulls like its not there
Old 02-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Electric cart has full torque from 0 rpm where a gas cart has to get spun up first. In most cases the electric will have more torque but will require mucho upgrades. There is also the big block option for the gas cart. Just depends on what you want.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBR View Post
I am not sure I would pick either in stock form with those big tires.

If you really had to do it, I would guess the gas. You probably would burn up something in the electric cart when you go in the woods with that setup.

Now if you are going to start throwing money at a cart, how deep into the woods are you going and is noise a concern?
I am building this cart to sell and I want to be sure I give the buyer a good cart. If I did not already have the new CAMO body and 23" tires/wheels, I would make it a street cart and not worry about it as I have done lots of those.

I am not trying to build a high performance mud buggy, just a good solid Cart for a hunter and trying to figure the most economical way.

Do you think a new clutch and belt will get my gear ratio down enough?
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
HBR
Gone Wild

If the current belt and clutch are worn out the new ones will make a difference. You could send your driven clutch to CPP and get it machined. I would talk to CPP and see what they recommend.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car