lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #11
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Ruff and tuff?

yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well I talked to a bunch of folks today and it was suggested that I find a 48 volt cart, use jumper cables to jump from good back to the RT. I did that, heard solenoid click when I pressed forward button, heard it click when I pressed pedal, and nothing. But I talked to a RT dealer who said that won't work. Said I needed to put batteries in it, then test.

A motor, $1600. A controller, $950! Don't want to put that into it! Any other ideas? Oh, and was unable to charge batteries due to the fact they are 8 volt and my charger is 12.
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #13
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The idea of jumping from another 48 volt cart could work, if you have heavy enough jumper cables. I've got a set I've had for years: 2 gauge cable & 800 amp clamps. They would probably do it, but your standard jumper cables are often only 10 gauge wire (with thick insulation) & won't carry enough current. Pack + to Pack +, Pack - to pack -...
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #14
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiescd View Post
Well I talked to a bunch of folks today and it was suggested that I find a 48 volt cart, use jumper cables to jump from good back to the RT. I did that, heard solenoid click when I pressed forward button, heard it click when I pressed pedal, and nothing. But I talked to a RT dealer who said that won't work. Said I needed to put batteries in it, then test.

A motor, $1600. A controller, $950! Don't want to put that into it! Any other ideas? Oh, and was unable to charge batteries due to the fact they are 8 volt and my charger is 12.
lol I told you it would be expensive for that chinese cart. You can put your 12v charger on a 8v battery for A WHILE. don't leave it on for too long, and go from battery to battery until your voltage is high enough to turn your charger on. If you jump your cart from another pack, your car's jumper cables will be fine. As stated above though, its better to use 2ga or 4ga cables and not too thin
Old 06-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the responses. I found a shop that can work on them and said they would look it over and let me know what they found (bad controller, bad motor). But they won't put any parts on it unless I say so. From what they say, they will do it at a nominal cost (under $100). I think that's the best route at this point. Instead of putting $900 worth of batteries in it and finding out its shot, may take a chance in this. They will hook it up, properly, to a 48V system and check it out. Going to take it by there next week
Old 06-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #16
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

As far as the batteries, they are 2006 models. I'm sure they are shot by now!
Old 06-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #17
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiescd View Post
As far as the batteries, they are 2006 models. I'm sure they are shot by now!
oh yeah I would say so lol
Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #18
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The company that used to make the Ruff and Tuff is still in business and goes by the name RT Gear now. I have had reason to call them numerous times and alot of the parts for these carts are available from them. While they are a little pricey compared to other brands, you could talk to them and they could walk you through some diagnostics over the phone and you may find the repair cost not as bad as you think.

Good Luck
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #19
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply. I decided to tuck my tail on this one. Took it to a golf cart shop and they pulled the motor to test it. It was fried. Was going to be sinking too much money in it. He offered to buy for a parts cart for $300, so I decided that was my best bet.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts