lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
pjstock
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 Marathon, stopped running (stuckstuck island)

Well here we go....
My late father loved this offroad modified 1990 Marathon (s/n 606830* ManuCode: J02910) for getting around his island property.

Since his death it hasn't run for... About 14months.

We, his sons, are enthusiastic but woefully* inexperienced mechanics who would.love your help getting her running again.

We'd take it to a shop but getting it off this island is a real chore (and expensive). So we'd like to try train ourselves onsite here.

Up until it died it was running perfectly.
Then (after some family members took it for a bit too hard a run we think, through mud and muck) it started to fail. And would only start with the barest touch of the accelerator. More than a slight touch and it wouldn't kick in.

Where do we start?

We get a "click" when we touch the accelerator. (Is that the "switch"?) But the starter doesn't turn.

Check continuity in the switch first?

Solenoid? How.doea one test a solenoid, or jump it to test?

We understand (now) our error in having used reg. Gas. So the fuel lines are certainly shot . And the carburetor might be corroded to (or so we were told). But first task seems to be getting it to turn over.

Many thanks.
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170707_110743-384x512.jpg (97.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170708_103217-614x819.jpg (99.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170708_112600_HDR-384x512.jpg (56.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170708_103332-614x819.jpg (132.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170708_103418-614x819.jpg (162.1 KB, 0 views)
pjstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1990 Marathon, stopped running (stuckstuck island)

Did you say you used regular gas? Meaning not two stroke fuel? Is the oil injection system still in place. We may need some more info but this could be bad if you ran it with straight gas.
Pig Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

What do you mean by regular gas? Just straight gas with no oil? If so, that is going to be a problem.

You have a 3-pg 2 stroke engine, and I don't see an oil tank for the oiler. Most people get rid of that, and premix the oil, and gas. Your Father probably did too.
If you ran the engine with just straight gas, and no oil, it will end up being a total rebuild.

You need a fresh battery to trouble shoot the electrical problem. The 2 small terminals on the solenoid activate an electromagnet that pulls the contactors closed on the big lugs. That is one of the clicks you should hear The other is the pedal microswitch that you are hearing

You could be looking at just wire corrosion, a dead battery, brushes in the starter, or a seized engine..
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Looking at the pictures I can see the oil system has been removed meaning you need to mix your own fuel 1oz to 1 gallon. First thing I would do is grab the drive clutch and try to turn the engine over by hand. Then let us know how that goes.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
pjstock
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1990 Marathon, stopped running (stuck on an island)

From the starter to the engine turns. I can the engine by hand.

From the engine to... Whatever that big thing in the back end is called is stiff (which I guess it should be as it drives the rear axle and since it's stationary that axle cannot turn.)
But the belt to the rear end is also loose.

But we'll get to the rear end later i expect, once we figure out how to get the front end to at least turn over.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You have a 2 part clutch assembly. Looking at picture 5, the one on the left is attached to the engine crankshaft. That is the drive clutch. The one attached to the rear end is the driven clutch. The belt between them should be loose until the engine is running.

If the rear wheels were jacked off the ground, you should be able to turn the driven clutch.

Turning the drive clutch by hand will turn over the engine, and starter.

You have not answered our question about the gas.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
pjstock
Not Yet Wild

Speaking with my brother, we did always run it with mixed fuel (gas +oil) not sure of the mix at the point but I expect we just followed the instructions of the fellow we bought it from.

Now I'll read the rest of your posts.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
pjstock
Not Yet Wild

By regular gas I meant as opposed to premium (which I understand does not contain ethanol, which I apparently is bad for devices like this if left unused for even a short period, like 20 days)

But we did use mixed fuel, oil and reg gas.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
pjstock
Not Yet Wild

When I multimeter test the continuity of the switch I get OPEN both when the pedal is engaged and not.

Does that suggest the switch is bad? And is not closing when the pedal is engaged?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like it to me. You can bypass that switch with a toggle switch just to check. Glad to here you didn't run straight gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO