lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
fmistretta4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Intermittent / temporary running EZGO

We bought a second hand 36volt EZGO cart a few months ago. It has a "programmer" to allow up to 20mph and a lift/larger tires. Everything been running fine. We were on a camping trip for father's day (june) and cart got caught in the rain during tow and again one day at the campground. Still everything ran fine during the camp trip.

Once back home, first day riding around the neighborhood, the cart initially ran for about 5-10 minutes, then problems started. When pushing the "go" pedal it would kind of buck but not go. This lasted for about 3-5 minutes, then all of a sudden it ran normal for the rest of the ride (20-30 minutes). I thought maybe I forgot to charge and batteries were low so I charged. The next time riding, which was maybe a day or so later, and the wife took it for a ride and she got stuck down the street. Same issue but this time it did not begin working after 5 minutes (nor 10, 30 or + minutes). I ended up towing it home.

Once I got it home, I put it on jack stands. Meter shows that it has 37.8 volts (EDIT*** actually 38.0 volts).
While on the jack stands, if I give it half throttle it seems to run fine (for at least 3 minutes), always between 37.6-37.8 volts. But once I give it full throttle, it might run 30-60 seconds and then it goes out, volts never drop below 37.5 volts. Once it goes out, if I give it throttle, tires will spin over for a second but that's it. If I let the cart sit for a bit, then I can give it half throttle for a few minutes, but never full throttle.

EDIT** Now if I take the cart off of the jack stands and tires are on the ground, I cannot even move 1-2 feet before it quits.

Thoughts? Where should I start troubleshooting?
fmistretta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Intermittent / temporary running EZGO

You will want to go ahead and post what kind of controller you have, and what drive system you have. ( Series, PDS, or DCS.)

If you look in the stickies section there is a guide for this.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
fmistretta4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

PDS

I'm not sure if my terminology "programmer" in the original post was correct. But the original bill of sale actually states "speed chip".

Controller is Curtis PMC with P/N 73326G07

And I did just discover this new information, if this is helpful...
but when the cart is on the jack stand- and giving it throttle, one side of the solenoid is getting 38 volts, while pushing pedal the other side is getting somewhere between 36-37 volts.

BUT when the cart is on the ground, the output side of the solenoid actually drops closer to 30 volts....could this mean bad solenoid???
Old 07-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
hunt365
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

What size tires are you currently running. Also it has a run/ tow maintenance switch on the controller cover. Was the switch flipped to tow when towed in?
hunt365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you have a PDS in Freedom mode (aka speed chip).

It also sounds like you might be overheating the controller. How hot does it get before it shuts down?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
fmistretta4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt365 View Post
What size tires are you currently running. Also it has a run/ tow maintenance switch on the controller cover. Was the switch flipped to tow when towed in?
23 x10.5 x 12.

Yes it was switched to tow mode
Old 07-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
fmistretta4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKSoft84 View Post
Sounds like you have a PDS in Freedom mode (aka speed chip).

It also sounds like you might be overheating the controller. How hot does it get before it shuts down?
when the cart is on the ground, it doesn't move 12" inches before it quits.

should I get a temp with a temp gun/laser or are you asking if it's hot to touch?
I've put my hand on it, and it doesn't feel hot.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Testing of the EZGO ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL - SERIES & PDS (NON DCS)
ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE BEFORE REMOVING CONTROLLER COVER. RE-CONNECT CABLE AFTER COVER IS REMOVED.
These test are to be conducted after making sure all wires and connections are clean and tight.
PLACE THE REAR OF THE CART SECURELY ON BLOCKS OR JACK STANDS FOR SAFETY
Connect (-) probe of meter on Battery Pack Negative (-) post. (This probe will on the post for the rest of the testing procedures) Connect (+) probe to the Battery Pack Positive (+) battery post. (This reading is the Battery Voltage and the amount of POWER TO THE CONTROLLER -
NOW, Key switch ON, gear selector in FORWARD, Place the (+) probe on the battery side of the solenoid's large post (If the reading is below battery voltage, check all wiring and terminals).
Place the (+) probe to the controller side of the solenoid's large post. The reading should be 0.1 to 3 volts less than battery voltage. If the reading is more than 3 volts less the battery voltage, the resistor is faulty. If the voltage is the same as the battery voltage, replace the solenoid.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
hunt365
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The oversize tires are the cause of the controller heating up. The stock controller and solenoid cant handle the extra load. Slow driving and hilly terrain also add more load. Does it have a rear seat or utility bed?
hunt365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I too have a PDS cart, and 23 inch tall tires. I drive my cart in very hilly conditions, with stock everything. I do not have an over heating issue.

The only reasons for over heating would be things such as too much regen braking, or the brakes dragging.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO