lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Anthonyc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Probably a dumb controller/motor question

I'm trying to understand what I can do to the 97 48V DS I have to make it run faster. The series motor says 36-48V and the controller is a Curtis 1204-412 300A . I see people writing about speed codes on here. Is this applicable to the controller I'm running?

Something does not seem right. More voltage = faster motor rotation. So if this motor was running on a 36V cart wouldn't it be unbearably slow? Is the controller limiting the voltage input to the motor? Is there a potentiometer or a switch in that controller that will boost the top end?

Sorry if this is a basic question I'm just not really seeing much info about this controller that can help me.
Anthonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Probably a dumb controller/motor question

Voltage = speed or RPMs
This 36-48v motor will run slower on 36v. 60v would make it run faster but that's not a practical solution.
Speed codes and speed magnets are applicable to sepex drive systems, not series.
Looking at what you have:
Series 300a controller
Stock motor

Unless the terrain is quite flat you will need more amperage to run a bigger motor that makes more rpms like the 10 hp Admiral A1.

If you have gentle inclines, bigger tires, rear seat, or any combination of these things get the 400a control and the A1 motor.

If you have any hills, off road ambition, etc. get the 500a Alltrax SR48500, 400a solenoid, 2g cable set, HD F&R and Admiral A1 motor.

If the budget prohibits the above, the absolute most economical thing you can do to this cart to boost performance is to find a true 36v series motor and slap it in your 48v series cart. It will gain 33% more torque and speed.

I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Anthonyc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Probably a dumb controller/motor question

That helps tremendously. Cleared up all of my misunderstandings about speed codes and their applications.

I guess I'll start looking at the costs of the options and see where it goes.

Thank you.
Anthonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car