lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
Riding High
Not Yet Wild

Default 48V to 12V step down converter

Hi y'all I have a 48vto 12v step down converter. I am trying to hook it up. My cart is used for hunting so i need to add some lights and other possible accessories. I bought this converter on amazon and it did not come with any instructions just the writing in the back telling me input wires and load wires. I am thinking i need to run this to a fuse block then to my accessories. Does anyone have any experience with this that can help.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Riding High is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 48V to 12V step down converter

I do. Normally the yellow is 48v positive and the red is 12v positive. They should have their own ground wires, don't mix them up. And yes it should have a fuse on each side, input and output. Also, depending on the cart, you can wire it to the key switch so it doesn't run all the time and drain the battery. A 48v relay would be best for this since a lot of carts have the key switch just as an on/off input to the controller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Riding High
Not Yet Wild

Should I also wire this to a distribution block ie the fuse block? I have a Yamaha 48v YDRE. I believe it’s 2007. I was wondering about wiring to the switch. Any ideas since the switch is sealed? I had to tap into the switch wire for my volt meter.
Riding High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You could use the volt meter wire to control a 48v relay to switch the converter on and off. Also a toggle switch if you want to be able to kill it separately from the cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The converter that came with my YDRE cart has a fifth wire that turns it on and off. That wire goes to the key switch. If you don't have that then you need a switch or a relay to turn the converter on. You don't want to leave it on all the time. You could probably power it through the key switch but it won't last all that long if you do that. There is usually a big capacitor in the converter that arcs when you connect the 48V to it. The best solution is to get a converter that has a control wire like the one I have.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha