lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
Yzshooter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Clutch Noise G16

Here goes:

I knew my primary was bad so I ordered a new one and belt from Plowman's. I talked to Don about his "Hot set-up" but wasn't sure at that time my engine was in good enough shape for any performance mods since I couldn't run it to check compression. (Still not sure)

After installing the primary and belt, I still have similar noise. My rear (secondary) clutch has lots of wear so I know it needs replaced. My question is I can feel a small amount of in-out play in the shaft it runs on. I don't feel any side-to-side play. Is there a way to check that bearing while I have the secondary clutch off. I don't want to change it unnecessarily but don't want to do double work to change it later. Oil level in diff seems ok and oil looks like new.

Last question. What is the best value in a secondary clutch? At this point the cart is all stock and permitted for around town use. Sometimes 3 or 4 American sized adults.

TIA......Al
Yzshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch Noise G16

No way to check anything inside the chunk without opening it up that I know of. CP241 or cgtech may better answer this. They are very knowledgeable. Usually the rear diff's on Yamaha's are pretty well indestructible. If the rear clutch is shot, replace the entire thing, both sheaves, inner drive with ramp shoes, and the spring (I suggest a torque spring kit if lifted.....it will also come with a collar that replaces the cheap c-clip). I'd also go ahead and change the rear diff fluid (75w90).

Check with Carts Parts Plus, Plowman's, or any of our other sponsors for a rear clutch. If you talk to them, let them know you are a Buggies Gone Wild member.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
Yzshooter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Spriddle,

Thanks for the kind reply. I ordered the complete secondary and will hopefully post positive news once installed. I also put a shot of grease in the new primary and it was noticeably quieter. I don't think I've read where they come dry but I think this one was. May be common knowledge I just didn't know. (any special grease recommended?) I'll update my progress.

Again thanks,

Al
Old 05-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

These yamaha's had a habit of wearing out the snap ring groove behind the secondary clutch and allowing the ramp to run directly against the rear end housing. There is a spacer that you can get to fix this problem. # J55-46322-09-00
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:28 AM   #5
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzshooter View Post
(any special grease recommended?)
According to the maintenance manual: Molybdenum disulfide grease. I really see a difference since I use this grease on both sheaves...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Yzshooter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
These yamaha's had a habit of wearing out the snap ring groove behind the secondary clutch and allowing the ramp to run directly against the rear end housing. There is a spacer that you can get to fix this problem. # J55-46322-09-00
aintgotthis,
I ordered the parts to replace my secondary clutch completely which included a machined sheave that came with that spacer. My snap ring was still there but only about 3/4'' of it.

Quote:
According to the maintenance manual: Molybdenum disulfide grease. I really see a difference since I use this grease on both sheaves...
sformal, Thanks for that info. Fortunately that's what I had in my grease gun and used.

UPDATE: I had no idea when I test drove this cart to buy it (on loose gravel driveway) that the clutches was that noisy. With a new Primary, secondary with machined sheave and torque spring and Plowman's belt, this thing is like a new cart. Now that I feel it's mechanically sound I will start the process of making it look a little better.

Thanks to all for your kind and helpful replies.......Al
Old 05-11-2019, 11:32 PM   #7
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzshooter View Post
aintgotthis,
I ordered the parts to replace my secondary clutch completely which included a machined sheave that came with that spacer. My snap ring was still there but only about 3/4'' of it.

sformal, Thanks for that info. Fortunately that's what I had in my grease gun and used.

UPDATE: I had no idea when I test drove this cart to buy it (on loose gravel driveway) that the clutches was that noisy. With a new Primary, secondary with machined sheave and torque spring and Plowman's belt, this thing is like a new cart. Now that I feel it's mechanically sound I will start the process of making it look a little better.

Thanks to all for your kind and helpful replies.......Al

[emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
jdavila99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:43 PM   #8
JCN
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
Hi, thank you in advance. Where can it be purchase? I've looked really hard and cannot seem to find it in a tube for a grease gun. Most don't list the ingredients properly.
JCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #9
JCN
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCN View Post
Hi, thank you in advance. Where can it be purchase? I've looked really hard and cannot seem to find it in a tube for a grease gun. Most don't list the ingredients properly.
Did more research and found this: Valvoline Moly-Fortified Gray Full Synthetic Grease 14.1 OZ Cartridge
by Valvoline for $10.35.

Can someone tell me if your supposed to lubricate the ramp shoes on the secondary sheave assembly with silicone spray or something else.
JCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha