lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Polling the crowd

So I’m curious to hear the opinions of all the governor modifiers out there. Between the basic methods, one being the “zip tie” method, and the other being the “drill out the bracket” method, which did you use and how satisfied are you with your decision? Did you start with the zip tie and move to the drill the bracket? Then there’s the full blown remove the cables completely and reroute the pedal cable method. Data for the machine. Thanks for participating!
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Polling the crowd

Drill the bracket and leave everything else in place. No problems. Best scenario IMO.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I agree with Dave in Virginia. The best method is to drill the bracket and leave everything else in place. That gives you the throttle modulation that was originally engineered into it and none of the jerky throttle that bypassing the governor and hooking the cables direct does.

The zip tie method is probably the next best. The results are close to the same as drilling the bracket, but it's easy to return your cart to stock when someone that might be irresponsible is driving it.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm a "none of the above". I re-adjust the governor to allow the higher speed, but still able to kick in and prevent over reving the engine when someone less mechanically minded is at the wheel. I've got carts running 20 - 25 mph, on stock tires,with functioning governors. Since I'm working on customers carts I tend toward the conservative end of the spectrum. I don't want me to be the reason someone blows up their engine.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:48 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

BTW, the "zip-tie" method doesnt disable the governor. It works exactly as if you had adjusted the governor faster with the nut. This is the preferred method for me, when working on other people's cart (out of caution). On mine, I do the flip trick, about 3 mph faster than zip tie, but allows higher rpms. Governor works, but has to be revved pretty high, with my combo & usage characteristics I never hit the governor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for responding guys. My cart is presently zip tied. It came to me that way. I get 25 mph on level ground with stock sized tires on the Speedo app on my phone, so speed is pretty good, but...the throttle response is weird. Pretty good starting off, but flat spots. It’ll get to 20 by mid throttle, then no increase in the next quarter of total movement, then jumping up to 24-25 in the last quarter. I don’t have any young mischievous operators to worry about presently, so no danger there. I think ultimately I’ll drill the bracket. I have another thread up about the driven clutch right now, I think i need to replace it first. Function before performance.
I appreciate the wisdom.
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #7
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

cgtech, can you please explain the "flip trick" to me, I wouldn't mind another 3mph....
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Take a pic of your governor arm, from the end where the threaded rod is. I'll add illustrations.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Following. I have the speed spring on mine and it is snug but still hovers right at 20mph. governor maybe ? 2016 EFI Drive
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #10
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Take a pic of your governor arm, from the end where the threaded rod is. I'll add illustrations.
CG, I found your pictures in another thread, all good now, definitely faster than before. It was 40 degrees here today so I didn't feel like taking my gloves off to use the phone for a gps run. Seat of the pants and ears tell me its faster now. Will post results as soon as its warmer (I don't have a top or windshield).

Thanks for the willingness to help!!
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
governor bypass methods
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha