lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2020, 05:50 AM   #1
theboz001
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 86 EZGO W/2PG won't go over 13 mph

I just bought this cart 2 weeks ago and it wouldnt run when I bought it. It would sound like it wanted to start but that's it. Its an 86 three wheeler that someone made into a utility cart by putting a wooden box on the back.

Checked compression (130, old gauge so it might be off a little), has spark & fuel. Finally tried disconnecting the muffler and it fired right up.

Without the muffler connected it would run 17Mph (using GPS on my phone), seemed to have plenty of power and other than being really loud ran great. Pulled the muffler (really heavy) and dropped into the BBQ. After about 3 hours it finally stopped smoking/flames. Let it cool overnight. Muffler weighed about 1/3 of what it did prior to BBQ. Put it back on the cart and it would start for about 30 seconds, rev slightly and then die. Disconnect muffler and it fired right up and again ran great.

Ordered new muffler. Now super quiet but won't go over 13mph. Verified both clutches are working properly (belt moves up/down on both).

I had a spare muffler off an old 4 stroke lawn mower. The flange was the same size so I tried putting it on there just for grins. Now louder but not any faster. Put the "new" muffler back on.

Its got a new plug, super clean carb & tank, excellent spark, new air filter. Governor disconnected and linkage near the driven clutch removed. Both the starter/generator and drive belts replaced with OEM sizes.

If I disconnect the muffler it will run 17 mph, bolt it back up and down to 13.

Any ideas?

(Apologies if this is a similar post, I tried searching the forum prior to posting)
theboz001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 86 EZGO W/2PG won't go over 13 mph

They prefer you start a new post here so it’s all good

I don’t think I’d be running it much without the muffler
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
875VA
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Have you tried adjusting the jets on the carb? If the exhaust was plugged up previously and someone made adjustments to keep it barely running and now you've replaced the exhaust those previous adjustments are likely way off now. Do you have a picture of the carb from both sides?
875VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
theboz001
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The only adjustment is on the back side of the carb. I would think that's the idle adjustment only this doesnt idle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2325.jpg (13.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2326.jpg (13.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

There are no real adjustments on the carburetor.

There is a restriction somewhere. Removing the muffler is letting it breathe easier.

Did you clean the exhaust pipe too?
Have you tried removing the air filter?
Have you looked in the carburetor to make sure the choke plate, and throttle plate are fully opened?

One last thing. It's a long shot. In fact it shouldn't even be running, but look anyways.

Look through the exhaust port. Move the piston up, and down. See if you can see a square hole in the side of the piston. If so, it's in backwards.

I only say that because 130 psi is too high for compression. That's a sign that the piston is backwards, but it shouldn't be running at all if it is.

Here is your manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:30 AM   #6
theboz001
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The air filter is new, the canister and tube were cleaned when I installed the filter. I did remove the exhaust pipe from the motor and it also was clean inside. I did check inside the exhaust port for carbon buildup but didnt think to check the piston.

The choke plate and throttle plate open all the way. I'll try without the air filter and canister top installed just to check. I will also try pulling the pipe and checking the piston. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #7
theboz001
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No restriction in the exhaust port or pipe. Piston appears to be installed correctly.

However, I found a new problem. I was getting a noise/vibration so I went to pull the blower cover and found the back of the housing cracked/broken.

Please tell me this is repairable/replacable without having to find an entire motor?
Old 03-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

It should be fixable, here's a few pics of how my 85 looked when I tore it down to rebuild. It was actually broke off from the case half rather than the blower housing itself, which I believe is fairly common with our era of buggies.......

I got lucky and have an aluminum welding buddy that took care of it for me, you should be able to take it to a welding shop and be fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (260.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 26.jpg (257.4 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:48 AM   #9
theboz001
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That is almost exactly like mine. Glad it can be repaired.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Yep, like I said fairly common. You might want to check the starter/gen mounts for cracks also, the belt adjuster mount on mine was cracked/broke in two spots
Dabble Inn is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO