lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Default G2 Engine Rebuild about to start

Hello everyone, hope you are all safe and healthy!

I decided to go ahead and rebuild my engine in my G2 rather than pay to have it done or replace it with a Big Block or GX. Didn't feel comfortable shelling out the cash until our country and economy start going back to normal. I am tired of constantly having to check and add oil to my cart daily. It runs great but burns oil and smokes.

My rebuild kit arrived yesterday and my cylinder hone arrives today. I will probably start on the engine rebuild tomorrow since the weather is really nice and sunny today (would rather ride today than wrench).

I am pretty good at turning a wrench and working on powered equipment, and have rebuilt a handful of small block Chevy and Ford engines in the past.

I do have the service manual for the G2 and have read over the tear down and rebuild process. However, sometimes there are certain parts of a procedure that are confusing etc. and I don't want to get stuck.

I was curious if there were any members here who have rebuilt these engines and would be kind enough to share some contact info so that if I get stuck I can send a text message or make a quick phone call for some pointers?

If so please send me a PM and we can work out the details, I will not be working on this late in the evening and try to call someone late at night or early in the morning. I just don't want to get stuck and post a question here and potentially have to wait 24 hours for a response.

Thanks in advance!
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Engine Rebuild about to start

Headed on to my g2 engine overhaul also, been putting off too long. Did you know if your piston/bore is OS or stock, before you ordered parts ( rebuild kit) ?
That little detail has been one of my excuses for not proceeding . . .
What kit did you choose? From who?
Answer all or none as you see fit! Thanks !
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Hi jclark, its a good time for doing all sorts of projects that have been put off!

I do not know for sure if my piston/bore is stock or oversized but am hoping/99.99% sure that it has not been touched since new. The cart came from a gentleman in his late 50's that was selling it because he didn't use it. He had inherited it from his mother-in-law about 9 months prior when she passed away. He had maintained it for her, he installed the headlights that were on it and the seatbelts, etc. He made no mention of rebuilding or having rebuilt the engine, just said it hadn't started to smoke yet. The cart was bone stock and governor still set at 12mph when I got it in October. It smokes now because I did the governor spring flip, added a 7" lift and 22" tires, and most importantly a plowman's performance kit. I beat on it and as can be expected it's now smoking.

I'll measure everything once apart to make sure the rings I got are correct and that it hasn't been previously bored. If needed I will buy the bigger size rings. I only got the rebuild kit with rings, seals and gaskets. I skipped the one with new bearings piston etc, because I am only intending on this being a band-aid fix to get it to stop smoking. I still want to do something more serious with the engine after this corona crap is over. Whether it be sending the stock engine up to Plowman, or a Honda GX, or Vanguard, I am not yet sure..

Sorry for the rambling, if you check out my build page, I wrote a lot in there recently about my future upgrade plans. Plus kind of a history of what I have done to my cart since buying it.

TLDR:
I bought stock size rebuild kit assuming it will be correct
I bought an all OEM kit from eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-OEM-...53.m2749.l2649

Shipped quick despite COVID-19
Old 03-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

If you have any questions, just ask. I'd be glad to help. I'll bet you'll find the oil rings are worn out. A decarbon and valve lapping would be good also.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Now it’s a party - thanks smallblock -
Old 03-31-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Thanks smallbock!
Old 03-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Life is a party. I plan on going out sliding sideway's with a cocktail in one hand and friend by my side....WhoHoooo what a ride!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

“Sliding through the pearly gates, backwards, on fire . . . “
Old 03-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

you both forgot UPSIDE DOWN!
Old 03-31-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Always an option -
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha