lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #11
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 Ez GO Marathon

Going back to the posts on page 1 about removing the driven clutch, the drive clutch is the one that'll need a puller as pictured. The driven clutch simply slides off a splined shaft once the main center bolt is removed, Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrouch023 View Post
Yes it does sound like we are having the same issue. The gasket quieted my cart down for sure, but it didn’t help the power issue. I talked to person at the EZ GO dealer and they didn’t think it was my drive clutch, so maybe the driven clutch is my problem too?

My other thoughts..maybe next I’ll try to adjust the carb even though it is brand new? Or, I feel like when I initially bought it the tube that goes down into my gas tank is broken off..maybe when I hit a hill it’s not getting proper gas flow due to the broken stem and losing power?

Going to keep tinkering..any ideas or tests would be greatly appreciated as I am running out of things to replace lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That pick up tube is still available, it's threaded into the tank

Here's an example from one of our site sponsors https://diygolfcart.com/siphon-tube-...cycle-1976-91/
Old 05-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #13
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

The drive clutch is the one I had been considering removing, which I thought Laporte was talking about, too, but he was not. But, I really think it’s an issue other than my clutch.

Thanks Dabble. I’m going to order that siphon tube regardless because I know mine stalls out when there is still plenty of gas because it’s not all the way down.

However, I am still not convinced that would do anything for my uphill power loss. It’s almost a bouncing-chugging up-hill type feeling when it’s going.

Even after installing the exhaust gasket, around the exhaust area is extremely extremely HOT after just a short mile ride down the road and back.

This pic shows how hot it got last year before the gasket, when the cart stalled out on me.

Can see it bubbled the gas lid last year it was so hot. It also started to melt my driven clutch cover.

You can see I have removed the governor, too.

Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #14
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

What about the power spring under the driven clutch? My RPMs seem to drop quite a bit when going uphill too. Maybe this could be the issue?

Old 05-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #15
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

OMG Yes I remember those pics, I don't remember what we advised to do about it though. But yeah I'll never forget those, Wow!!
Old 05-30-2020, 08:29 PM   #16
Laporte18
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Finally got around to replacing my driven clutch and uphill she goes, still not as fast as I’d like but definitely a major improvement. I may have a little too much expectation for the ole girl but so far so good on the 20 minute ride I took on it.
Laporte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:50 PM   #17
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Hahaha yes Dabble! It was almost very bad news! Good news is, once I just started working on her again she fired right up. Just got to stop this from happening again. The exhaust area is still getting pretty hot with the new gasket, but I think there is still a small gap so I’m going to put some extra RTV heat resistant silicone around it and see if that helps the heat.

For the hill part, that’s great the driven clutch improved your uphill speed! Did you replace the entire driven clutch or just the high torque spring? I’m reading a lot of things leaning me towards the spring as it’s a cheaper $40 fix.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:23 PM   #18
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

This is what I’m thinking about replacing. Does anyone know if this is actually more “high torque” than what comes standard in the driven clutch? This is what is recommended for carts with lift kits and bigger tires, which mine has. I am thinking the original spring is either worn, or doesn’t have the necessary torque to support the wheels/lift on my cart, especially when I add a steep hill into the picture!

Old 05-31-2020, 09:07 AM   #19
Laporte18
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I went ahead and just replaced the whole thing. It was about $170 brand new on the bay. I o ow just enough to be dangerous as this is my first cart. I do not have a lift or bigger tires but do have a back seat on it. Next stop for me is to fix the back firing when I let off the gas!
Laporte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #20
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laporte18 View Post
I went ahead and just replaced the whole thing. It was about $170 brand new on the bay. I o ow just enough to be dangerous as this is my first cart. I do not have a lift or bigger tires but do have a back seat on it. Next stop for me is to fix the back firing when I let off the gas!

Ohh gotcha! I think I am going to for the high torque spring only as I’m pretty sure the original owner never upgraded after The lift and big meaty tires.

Yours is backfiring too when you let off the gas?! WOW! Did we buy identical golf carts from the same guy?! LOL.

I have been tinkering with that for a while and can’t figure it out. I put a brand new exhaust and seals even.

Is your exhaust by chance getting VERY VERY hot, too?! Thinking this is my problem but don’t know how to fix it yet.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO