lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #31
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Weird issue, cart won’t stay running

Anybody?
Largemouth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #32
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Is the fire or fuel the reason its not running ? You will have to decide that for us.
Make sure the linkage on carburetor is opening wide open when you push the pedal with key off.
Do you have a good fuel flow when its turning over ?
Does this cart have an aftermarket carburetor on it ?
I think I read where it would fire before you installed the rebuilt engine in it but I didn't really go back and read all the posts ??
Take three things to make one run
Fuel
Fire
Compression
Fuel has to be metered correct
Fire has to be nice and bright checking with a spark tester
Fuel should flow freely out of line going to carburetor when spinning it over.
Make sure the battery is full charged. I never try and crank one on my 220 amp charger for fear of burning up that expensive ignitor.
Wish I was closer as I could tell you right away what was wrong.
Maybe make a video and upload to youtube putting the link here.
You got a good spark tester ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #33
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Is the fire or fuel the reason its not running ? You will have to decide that for us.
Make sure the linkage on carburetor is opening wide open when you push the pedal with key off.
Do you have a good fuel flow when its turning over ?
Does this cart have an aftermarket carburetor on it ?
I think I read where it would fire before you installed the rebuilt engine in it but I didn't really go back and read all the posts ??
Take three things to make one run
Fuel
Fire
Compression
Fuel has to be metered correct
Fire has to be nice and bright checking with a spark tester
Fuel should flow freely out of line going to carburetor when spinning it over.
Make sure the battery is full charged. I never try and crank one on my 220 amp charger for fear of burning up that expensive ignitor.
Wish I was closer as I could tell you right away what was wrong.
Maybe make a video and upload to youtube putting the link here.
You got a good spark tester ?
I’m pretty positive that it’s fire related, the spark is smaller and weaker than that of a pushmower engine. I’ve just been spraying starting fluid in the carb and it’s been enough to foul the plugs. It would run before being rebuilt but barely and that’s due to only 80lbs of compression. I think with the higher compression the spark isn’t strong enough to fire. My way of testing is just grounding the plug to the block. The pulsar is good I believe, it was tested when the motor was rebuilt. I posted the coil resistance a post or so ago, and I’m not sure about the igniter since it’s not testable.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #34
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

The only way for me to know for sure is use a spark tester like shown in picture.
If it is firing this thing will spark. Then if it fires this tester you can move on to what the problem is.
I can't help unless I 100% know for sure and the tester I use will 100% tell me if its firing or not.
These ignition parts are way too high to be buying to try and eliminate issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark tester.jpg (39.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #35
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The only way for me to know for sure is use a spark tester like shown in picture.
If it is firing this thing will spark. Then if it fires this tester you can move on to what the problem is.
I can't help unless I 100% know for sure and the tester I use will 100% tell me if its firing or not.
These ignition parts are way too high to be buying to try and eliminate issues.
Update tested the spark with a tester identical to that one, nothing. So I have my doubts about the ignitor and coil and whether they are good or not. Anyways I found the parts for like $180 total online, apparently the cheap amazon ones are crap and not worth buying. It’s not even my money so it should fix it and my boss will feel good knowing he’s got a brand new coil and a brand new ignitor. Can anybody post pics of the wiring? Like the wires that come off the ignitor seem to be different than the diagram, there are 2 wires going from the ignitor to the solenoid I think there’s only supposed to be 1. He had somebody “work on” it before me. I found a diagram but it is confusing because the wire colors it lists are different than what I have, and the wire colors on my ignitor are different that the one I’m buying online.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #36
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Did you test the firing with both spark plugs off with the new tester ? Is so then put one back on a spark plug and check firing with the other one using the tester
Old 09-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #37
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largemouth21 View Post
Update tested the spark with a tester identical to that one, nothing. So I have my doubts about the ignitor and coil and whether they are good or not. Anyways I found the parts for like $180 total online, apparently the cheap amazon ones are crap and not worth buying. It’s not even my money so it should fix it and my boss will feel good knowing he’s got a brand new coil and a brand new ignitor. Can anybody post pics of the wiring? Like the wires that come off the ignitor seem to be different than the diagram, there are 2 wires going from the ignitor to the solenoid I think there’s only supposed to be 1. He had somebody “work on” it before me. I found a diagram but it is confusing because the wire colors it lists are different than what I have, and the wire colors on my ignitor are different that the one I’m buying online.
I ended up finding the diagram I needed
Old 09-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #38
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Did you test the firing with both spark plugs off with the new tester ? Is so then put one back on a spark plug and check firing with the other one using the tester
I tested both spark plug wires if that’s what you mean? Neither produced a spark in the tester, although a faint blue spark could be seen when the plug was grounded
Old 09-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #39
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Not sure what the spark looks likes. Normally if its blue then its firing. What I find when using this spark tester is always leave one spark plug in head with plug wire on it. Use the tester on the other. Upload a video of it to youtube and link it here so we can see what the fire looks like
Old 09-24-2020, 12:01 AM   #40
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

What Trig is trying to say, is that you need both plug wires connected and both plugs grounded to complete the secondary circuit for the plugs for testing.

Study this diagram and you should see what we mean. with the second plug not grounded, the coil circuit is broken and you wont get fire.

Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO