lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
BLES
Not Yet Wild

Default mid 80s carb question

Mid 80s oil injected 2 stroke cart. (Number tags are gone.) Has the BV24 carb.

Trying to get this cart cart going for a family who've adapted it for a girl with disabilities. It was running but recently quit. No explanation.

Clean tank, lines, filter. Fuel pumping to carb while cranking. Compression about 110. Plug sparking.

Engine tried to fire once while cranking but nothing more. Carb is clean and appears ok, but I'm concerned about throttle linkage. It has the governor unhooked and just the throttle (pedal) cable and oil pump cable hooked up. I adjusted it so throttle valve is shut (idle) until pedal is moved.

Going to try another plug, just in case it's failing under compression, but not expecting much. Any other ideas?

Thanks for reading.
BLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: mid 80s carb question

I think it's at least an 88 as that's the year they began using that carb, throttle linkage sounds like you've got it adjusted correctly. Be sure the oil cable is still attached to the pump.....

I was going to mention crank shaft seals but if they're blown you wouldn't have fuel pumping, or would have very little fuel pumping
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
BLES
Not Yet Wild

I'm going to try a new plug as spark appears weak compared to other plugs I tried.

Also, I assume there should be some "slack" in the throttle cable adjustment, so the throttle doesn't open as soon as pedal is pushed (so it can start at idle). Anyone know about this? I may just set it so it opens the throttle fully at full pedal and see where that puts it at full release.?
Old 09-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Should be no slack in the throttle cable, in fact the cable should have a spring at the mount that with the proper adjustment will close the carb lever completely before the pedal kills the ignition. This is to prevent backfire......

Remember, the carb lever itself is sprung to the open position. When you push on the pedal it pushes the cable allowing the carb lever spring to open itself, then when you let off the pedal the cable pulls the lever closed. Opposite of most any other engine, but if your throttle cable ever breaks the carb lever will spring to wide open throttle lol. Of course if that ever happens you simply let off the pedal to kill the ignition......

The proper adjustment is with the pedal up/off position and the carb lever fully closed, preload the spring at the mount so as the nut on the cable sheave is 1/2" from the face of the mount
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-05-28_13.20.01_LI.jpg (209.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2020, 11:23 PM   #5
BLES
Not Yet Wild

New plug got it running. Still needs some adjustment in the cables, but making progress. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the update, glad you got it running. Good Luck
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO