lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Strange voltage reading and no movement

So I had my cart on the charger for a few days and unplugged it to take my kids to a friends house and something very strange happened.

Details on cart:
2003 EZGO TXT (Series), 48v, Alltrax 48500 controller, 400 solenoid, SocttyB digital battery meter, Lester Summit 2 charger

I unplugged the charger and my battery meter showed 54.4 volts (1st time I have ever seen this), I turned the cart on put it in reverse heard the buzz, got the solenoid click, but no movement. Same thing when I put the cart in forward (solenoid click, no movement). After letting the cart sit and the voltage drop to 51.4 volts the cart worked fine.

As I said, this is the first time I have experienced this issue and wondering if there is some sort of voltage regulator in the controller that won't engage the motor (or controller) if the voltage isn't within a certain range?
2K6TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Strange voltage reading and no movement

There is a voltage setting in the Alltrax Toolkit for that max voltage adjustment. I run lithium so I am set at max 62V. Set yours between 55-62 and you will be ok.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
There is a voltage setting in the Alltrax Toolkit for that max voltage adjustment. I run lithium so I am set at max 62V. Set yours between 55-62 and you will be ok.
Thanks. I will look into it.

Is it normal for the voltage to get that high? Typically I only see the voltage get between 50.8 and 51.4 (mostly closer to 50..
Old 10-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is the "float voltage" level but since the Summit II does not provide "float" for Lead Acid profiles, You better double check with the ChargeConnect app that You do not have an AGM profile loaded.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the peak on-charge voltage is higher than normal, clean all the connections in the cart's charging loop.

The Summit-II uses dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) technology to determine when pack is fully charged, so the on-charge voltage will climb until the rate of increase meets the cut off criteria. (US Battery recommends 0.004V per cell per hour - don't know what it is for other brands) So any excessive resistance in the charging loop will cause the pack's on-charge voltage to get higher before the cut-off criteria is reached.

FWIW: I've always set the over voltage to max (62V) in my Alltrax controllers, even when running a 36V pack. But, I run a sepex system and regen braking raises pack voltage during operation.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

JohnnieB, he said the cart was connected to the charger for a few days so there is no way it was still charging and lead acid cells cannot hold that high voltage for long.

It has to be a float profile (about 2.25vpc) which the summit does not have for lead acid batteries.

I ran lithium now so my Alltrax over voltage is just below the pack max allowed voltage to protect the batteries (and/or not trigger a BMS shutdown) during Regen brake.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
JohnnieB, he said the cart was connected to the charger for a few days so there is no way it was still charging and lead acid cells cannot hold that high voltage for long.

It has to be a float profile (about 2.25vpc) which the summit does not have for lead acid batteries.

I ran lithium now so my Alltrax over voltage is just below the pack max allowed voltage to protect the batteries (and/or not trigger a BMS shutdown) during Regen brake.
AGM and Gel are lead-Acid batteries also and do have float charge in their Summit-II profiles. Just the Wet-Cell profiles don't have float charge.

He never said what type battery was in cart or the charge profile selected.

Since 54.4V / 24 = 2.2666...V, the charger might be set to an AGM profile (2.27VPC float voltage).

If the Green LED blinks slowly instead of staying steady green, it is in float charge.

Could be someone changed the charge profile.

-----------
Yep, I overlooked the connected to charger for several days part on post#1.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
AGM and Gel are lead-Acid batteries also and do have float charge in their Summit-II profiles. Just the Wet-Cell profiles don't have float charge.

He never said what type battery was in cart or the charge profile selected.

Since 54.4V / 24 = 2.2666...V, the charger might be set to an AGM profile (2.27VPC float voltage).

If the Green LED blinks slowly instead of staying steady green, it is in float charge.

Could be someone changed the charge profile.

-----------
Yep, I overlooked the connected to charger for several days part on post#1.

I have Trojan T-875 batteries (installed 3/2020), Battery Profile is 22251, System profile is 29142
Old 10-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Not sure how the battery pack could be at 54.4V if the charger had completed its charge cycle several days earlier and the charger wasn't float charging.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO