lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
Headly46
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO RXV alignment problem (too much toe in!)

So I have a dilemma, and I'm hoping the great minds at BGW have some ideas.

I have a 2009 EZGO RXV (stock, no lift) - and I've just replaced the front and rear suspension. Rears went fine (super easy). Fronts went well - bought complete assemblies (shock/spring, knuckle, hub all came as an assy). New A-arms, new bushings etc....

I got everything installed, set the cart down and there was VERY visible "Toe in". I didn't think that was going to happen, as I never touched the steering tie rods - but I thought "OK, I'll just align it".

First step - measure! It's over 2" toe in! So I do a little research and see that 1/8" toe in should be the sweet spot. I adjust each tie rod end equally, until I'm ALL OUT OF THREADS - and it's STILL at 1" toe in (with no more ability to adjust!) The tie rod ends are BOTH up against the locking nut, and the locking nut has no more threads to "un-do"

Anybody ever have this problem? I'm thinking I might swap out the whole steering rack - but I don't want to just have a new part with the same problem?

My first thought is "are all RXV front suspensions the same?" None of the vendors list anything other than "2008 and up"..... but I'm beginning to wonder....

I'm stumped.....
Headly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO RXV alignment problem (too much toe in!)

I don't know if this will help but my service parts manual shows that the shock absorber assemblies changed on 9/20/2010. I can't tell if any other linkage parts also changed. Perhaps something to research further.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
Headly46
Not Yet Wild

Chev - thanks for the reply!

I am aware that they "discontinued" the original part number - and supposedly the "new" part number should work for both (this all seems to be regarding the UPPER mounting point at the top of the spring/shock assy) My cart (I think all carts prior to 2010) had TWO mounting holes in the upper frame. My OLD assy. was attached to the upper hole - my NEW assy is in the lower hole - but it wouldn't be possible to GET it to the upper mounting hole, and appears to be very much on purpose. (Attached pic - upper mounting point)

I have a few more "interesting dilemmas" though...

1) I thought - "do I have the model year correct?" so I looked up my serial number (5043609) - and EZGO says "serial number not found". I know that the last 2 numbers of all EZGO are the model year, so it stands to reason that it's an "09" - but I still find this odd....

2) As I'm crawling around taking pictures - I notice that when the tires are turned ALL the way in either direction, the spring on the suspension comes into contact with the rubber boots on the steering rack? Again, I have NO idea if it did that PRIOR to new suspension, but it seems questionable.... (pics attached)

I've also attached a picture of the tie rod end - showing it ALL the way in, as well as a straight on shot showing the visible toe in (still!)

Anyone see anything done incorrectly? happy to admit it if it's installer error - I just don't see anything that isn't as it was prior....

Rian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upper mounting point.jpg (257.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Contact.jpg (202.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg contqact 2.jpg (213.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tie rod ALL the way in!.jpg (264.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg visible toe in.jpg (357.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

1) I thought - "do I have the model year correct?" so I looked up my serial number (5043609) - and EZGO says "serial number not found". I know that the last 2 numbers of all EZGO are the model year, so it stands to reason that it's an "09" - but I still find this odd....

These last two numbers 09 isn't the year of it being built. But it is a 2009 cart. Your 09 just got lucky with the build year.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

On my early 2010 RXV, the steering rack boots also make contact with the spring when turned fully to the limit. Not a lot, but they do contact. I have the old style shock assembly as seen by the location of the upper mount and the shape of the lower gusset weldment.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Maybe just me but looking at pics fronts wheels appeared they are toed out? Meaning front of tires pointing out away from each other when wheels are straight.

When I do alignment. Move steering wheel to center “count turns on steering wheel to confirm center,” not position of steering wheel itself as that can be centered later”
Next ,without moving steering wheel ( old school club works great for this or jack positioned between seat and steering wheel)
Adjust left wheel so it’s straight confirmed with straight edge or string compared to rear wheel. (Reference point)
Now adjust right wheel so it’s 1/16” closer to front of left fronts tire. I take measurements off rim, not tire.. Then adjust left wheel so it’s 1/16 th” closer to front of left wheel opposed to back of right rear of tire.i

Make sure cart is under it’s own weight before doing alignment. Not on jack stands.

Once done remove and center steering wheel if needed.

Again I could be mis interpreting pictures that show toe out, but above alignment procedures are good practice for aligning front ends😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:41 PM   #7
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevota Guy View Post
On my early 2010 RXV, the steering rack boots also make contact with the spring when turned fully to the limit. Not a lot, but they do contact. I have the old style shock assembly as seen by the location of the upper mount and the shape of the lower gusset weldment.

I swear that I remember making a mistake and remounting the struts on the opposite sides during a rebuild and didn't notice anything until I put tires on and set it down. Then the toe in was all out of whack. Swapped them back and back to normal. Check yours.

usgicollector, can you look close at the picture and see if that is the issue. I thought I had a picture to confirm, but unable to find it.

EDIT:
That's not it from looking a a parts list breakdown of front suspension that I just found, if the picture is drawn correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV Driver side front.jpg (122.7 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #8
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Maybe just me but looking at pics fronts wheels appeared they are toed out? Meaning front of tires pointing out away from each other when wheels are straight.

When I do alignment. Move steering wheel to center “count turns on steering wheel to confirm center,” not position of steering wheel itself as that can be centered later”
Next ,without moving steering wheel ( old school club works great for this or jack positioned between seat and steering wheel)
Adjust left wheel so it’s straight confirmed with straight edge or string compared to rear wheel. (Reference point)
Now adjust right wheel so it’s 1/16” closer to front of left fronts tire. I take measurements off rim, not tire.. Then adjust left wheel so it’s 1/16 th” closer to front of left wheel opposed to back of right rear of tire.i

Make sure cart is under it’s own weight before doing alignment. Not on jack stands.

Once done remove and center steering wheel if needed.

Again I could be mis interpreting pictures that show toe out, but above alignment procedures are good practice for aligning front ends😊
All excellent points. I do the same. Thanks for the detail.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
I swear that I remember making a mistake and remounting the struts on the opposite sides during a rebuild and didn't notice anything until I put tires on and set it down. Then the toe in was all out of whack. Swapped them back and back to normal. Check yours.

usgicollector, can you look close at the picture and see if that is the issue. I thought I had a picture to confirm, but unable to find it.

EDIT:
That's not it from looking a a parts list breakdown of front suspension that I just found, if the picture is drawn correctly.
Great comment. Nothing like the voice of experience ! Something just seems so not right about the OP 's results after all of of his/her work.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Headly46
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to ALL of you for your responses!

In conclusion - this was DEFINITELY a parts issue, and NO not all "fits 2008 and up" are correct. I ordered an entire assembly from the following

Golfcarcatalog.com
EZGO RXV, 2008-Up Front Driver's Side Shock Assembly
SKU: Shocks:638947
EZGO RXV, 2008-Up Front Passenger's Side Shock Assembly
SKU: Shocks:638948

Here is a link if anyone cares to view the part that I purchased:

https://www.golfcarcatalog.com/ezgo-...-assembly.html

I ordered the part, because I wanted the whole thing pre-assembled (shock, knuckle, hub etc) and I was willing to pay a little more to make my life easier on installation. Obviously....MY BAD.

Long story short, that top mounting point is a big deal. If you look around a bit, you'll find that after 2010 (I believe in 2011) EZGO changed the frame structure on that top mounting point slightly. Basically they cut out part of the frame below that top mounting hole (thereby deleting the "lower" mounting hole). This allows for a shock that has a shorter extended mounting piece on the top of the assy. Also if you look around a bit, you'll notice the difference in some of the various shock assy's for sale on line (some are "taller" on the top, some are "shorter") This doesn't change the TOTAL height of the shock, but it does make it IMPOSSIBLE to mount the "shorter" shock in a pre-2010 RXV cart!! (somebody should really tell the manufacturers and retailers this.... it's wrong ALL over the internet...) This changes the suspension geometry, even resulting in a slight camber issue!

This is a problem - unless of course you have pneumatic cutoff tools or a plasma cutter, and aren't squeamish about cutting into the frame of a cart...lol. Since the NEW frame rail doesn't HAVE that portion of the frame, I made the executive decision (backed an engineering degree...) that this portion of the frame was not necessary. I cut it out to make room for the "shorter" shock mount point, and once I bolted everything back together....BINGO, the steering now had the appropriate adjustment capabilities. I then aligned the cart (it's got about 3/16ths toe in now) and WOW does that make a difference!!

Hope this info can keep someone else from having the same frustrations down the road. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO