lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
jah1386
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Marathon Wont Go / Controller J2 J3

I had a 1992 Marathon given to me, and decided to upgrade it to 48v. F/R, solenoid, cables, controller and batteries have all been upgraded. I have 48v everywhere (49.9v to be exact), solenoid clicks, micro switches have been replaced, potentiometer replaced, still the cart will not move in either forward or reverse. However, I noticed that when unplugging the 2 wires (J2 and J3) from the controller and touching the voltmeter leads to the J2 and J3 lugs on continuity, the cart takes off and the wheels are turning. So, what does this mean..what creates this situation and what do I need to fix? I'm no expert in this field, not even close, so thanks in advance for any help/tips anyone can offer.
jah1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Marathon Wont Go / Controller J2 J3

Which controller is installed: SR, AXE, NPX, SPM or SPB; or one of the lesser known ones?

If the wires going to J2 and J3 are black and white, you are putting a voltage on the throttle input and the controller passes amps to the motor, so I suspect the controller is not set to the correct throttle type.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
jah1386
Not Yet Wild

The controller I installed is a knockoff of the Curtis 1205 controller that I bought on eBay. It's 0-5k and 48v.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
jah1386
Not Yet Wild

Just found something else that might help. ScottyB posted this in a previous thread:

CHECKING CONTROLLER OUTPUT Connect (-) probe to controller M- and (+) lead to controller B-
With the key on and the cart in forward gear, press the pedal just far enough to hear the solenoid engage. You should read pack voltage between and M- and B-. Now continue to press the pedal down and watch the meter. The reading should gradually decrease to near 0 volts. If the input test was good and the ITS readings are correct and this test does not perform as described above then the controller has failed.

**My results were the opposite of this. When pressing the pedal just far enough for the solenoid to engage, I read 49v, and with the pedal pressed all the way down, still 49v. When I let off the pedal, voltage gradually decreases. What does this indicate?
Old 10-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah1386 View Post
Just found something else that might help. ScottyB posted this in a previous thread:

CHECKING CONTROLLER OUTPUT Connect (-) probe to controller M- and (+) lead to controller B-
With the key on and the cart in forward gear, press the pedal just far enough to hear the solenoid engage. You should read pack voltage between and M- and B-. Now continue to press the pedal down and watch the meter. The reading should gradually decrease to near 0 volts. If the input test was good and the ITS readings are correct and this test does not perform as described above then the controller has failed.

**My results were the opposite of this. When pressing the pedal just far enough for the solenoid to engage, I read 49v, and with the pedal pressed all the way down, still 49v. When I let off the pedal, voltage gradually decreases. What does this indicate?
Putting the + test lead on B- will cause negative voltage readings on the voltmeter. I advocate placing the - test lead on the most negative point so all voltage readings are positive. It works the same either way, but some people get confused when the see the minus sign in front of the numbers.

------------
The Curtis 1205M pictured can be programmed to any one of ten throttle types, see attached image for list. Manual for 1205M also attached.

The voltage reading you get tell me the controller is not responding to the 0-5K throttle input and there isn't a precharge resistor connected between the solenoid's large terminals.

Could be a bad pot-box or a bad controller or controller not set to 0-5K throttle type.

With the black and white wire removed from the controller, measure between the wires with an Ohmmeter. What Ohm readings do you get with pedal up and pedal down?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1204M-1205M-1209M throttle types.jpg (102.4 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1204m1205m_n.pdf (816.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
jah1386
Not Yet Wild

I do have a recharge resistor installed. And, it's measuring 0 to about 4.2k.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
jah1386
Not Yet Wild

So maybe the controller isn't set to the correct throttle type? Is there an easy fix for that?
Old 10-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Programming instructions start on page-17 of the manual I posted.

With a precharge resistor installed, the votage would decrease when the pedal was lifted all the way (solenoid de-energizes), but would only decrease a few volts and then stay at that voltage.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
jah1386
Not Yet Wild

Yes with the pedal lifted, voltage drops from around 50v to around 39.9v and stays.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
jah1386
Not Yet Wild

Also, the handheld programmers for these are very expensive, so I was just asking if there's a way to check/set the throttle type without spending the $500 on a programmer? Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO