lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
B_Mo
Not Yet Wild

Default Swapping the motor

I’ve got a roof and a large rear facing seat/platform with a step. Would it be easier to lift the cart and pull the motor out the side after removing the wheel and shock, or am I better off just taking the seat/roof, and back off to do the motor swap?
B_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Swapping the motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Mo View Post
I’ve got a roof and a large rear facing seat/platform with a step. Would it be easier to lift the cart and pull the motor out the side after removing the wheel and shock, or am I better off just taking the seat/roof, and back off to do the motor swap?
well with the body on, its not EASY no matter what. Personally, What I have done, as found it easiest for ME, notice that the motor is canted forward of the axal, not directly above it. I have a big floor jack, which has a 7" disc on it. I jack up the rear of the cart and put it on jack stands, this actually cants the motor a little more forward. position the disc under the motor, undo the motor bolts. it won't be easy of its STICK and may need some persuasion. but once its lose and away from the tranny/diff. lower it to the floor.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
B_Mo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
well with the body on, its not EASY no matter what. Personally, What I have done, as found it easiest for ME, notice that the motor is canted forward of the axal, not directly above it. I have a big floor jack, which has a 7" disc on it. I jack up the rear of the cart and put it on jack stands, this actually cants the motor a little more forward. position the disc under the motor, undo the motor bolts. it won't be easy of its STICK and may need some persuasion. but once its lose and away from the tranny/diff. lower it to the floor.
I was actually hoping that someone would say that this is a good method. I’ve got the jackstands and the floor jack. I just wasn’t sure why everything I can find has it the other two methods. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Just remember....that motor is HEAVY! once you pull the 3 little bolts out, get it off the fit, you have to be able to handle it....if the body is off the cart, its fairly easy to just straddle it. my way. the motor is sitting on the saddle and won't go anywhere. I don't know how you would get it out without dripping it without having it supported, as I said, ITS REAL HEAVY.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I use a winch and a strap when I can get access from above. Otherwise it's the floor jack method Sir Nuke described. And watch your fingers. Don't get them between the motor and the axle housing.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
B_Mo
Not Yet Wild

Gotcha. Thanks Nuke and Scotty
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO