lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #11
B Swan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: I Need a Switch for My Voltage Converter

Thanks! 😅

Does it matter how I wire it?
B Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #12
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you can always use a small low amperage switch to the coil on a relay like this

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Automot.../dp/B00BJLIB9G
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #13
B Swan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #14
Signal_Engineer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Swan View Post
Okay, so which wire diagram is accurate, A (top left) or B (bottom right)? And what switch rating do I need? I’ve read through more posts but still don’t feel confident enough to plug things up. I read through Cohen’s post, but still have a few questions.

Is it still possible to turn the converter off? My concern is charging while the converter is on. If so, I just may go his route and call it a day.

Except, I don’t even want to tap into the current +key switch wire.
Attachment 211437

So which diagram and what rating. Yes, I can be painfully dense at times. So thanks for your patience and help.
Actually, neither is what you want. I've redrawn both. 'A' just uses the switch to switch off the convertor using its control wire, but the convertor remains always connected to the battery pack, which I don't think you wanted during battery charging? B uses the switch to switch off the battery supply to the convertor, as well as to the convertor control wire, which is what I think you wanted to achieve during battery charging?

The switch that DB Cooper has suggested should be fine. Although its rated at an AC voltage (easier to break than DC), the fact that its 20A at 125v or 15A at 250v means its able enough to do the job on 36v.

Should also add, you need to have a fuse (7.5A or 10A) in the red line from the battery pack positive to the switch. This protects the switch, convertor and wiring in the event of a fault.

Hope this helps - if not, I'll try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94 Marathon.jpg (163.3 KB, 0 views)
Signal_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #15
B Swan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal_Engineer View Post
B uses the switch to switch off the battery supply to the convertor, as well as to the convertor control wire, which is what I think you wanted to achieve during battery charging?

The switch that DB Cooper has suggested should be fine. Although its rated at an AC voltage (easier to break than DC), the fact that its 20A at 125v or 15A at 250v means its able enough to do the job on 36v.

Should also add, you need to have a fuse (7.5A or 10A) in the red line from the battery pack positive to the switch. This protects the switch, convertor and wiring in the event of a fault.
OMG!!! That’s precisely what I need! I’ll be doing B, and fuses are an absolute must! I knew I’d need one from the converter to the fuse block I plan on mounting behind the dash. Since the holders comes in packs of two, that’s works perfectly!

Whew! Thanks tons!
Old 11-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #16
B Swan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just remembered my battery meter is already on its own switch! I’ve been wondering what that fuse holder was there for. I still have some apprehension tangling with old parts and wires, but I can tie the key switch wire, with it’s own fuse of course, to the same toggle switch, right?

So I can save a few bucks or get rid of the old toggle switch, which is pretty raggedy. In either case, the battery meter can also serve as a sort of bootleg indicator light.

The scary thing is that I’m getting the converter because I’ll be adding a few other accessories. I plan on replacing the old headlight switch - which I’ve already tangle with - with one from a pack of new switches I’ll be getting so they’ll all match. And because the meter switch is kinda raggedy, I was seriously considering swapping out that switch for the 12v headlight switch!

If I weren’t so apprehensive about old parts, a would’ve pretty much been a gaurantee!
Old 11-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #17
Signal_Engineer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I just remembered my battery meter is already on its own switch! I’ve been wondering what that fuse holder was there for. I still have some apprehension tangling with old parts and wires, but I can tie the key switch wire, with it’s own fuse of course, to the same toggle switch, right?

So I can save a few bucks or get rid of the old toggle switch, which is pretty raggedy. In either case, the battery meter can also serve as a sort of bootleg indicator light.

The scary thing is that I’m getting the converter because I’ll be adding a few other accessories. I plan on replacing the old headlight switch - which I’ve already tangle with - with one from a pack of new switches I’ll be getting so they’ll all match. And because the meter switch is kinda raggedy, I was seriously considering swapping out that switch for the 12v headlight switch!

If I weren’t so apprehensive about old parts, a would’ve pretty much been a gaurantee!
Not quite sure what you mean by "I can tie the keyswitch wire .... to the same toggle switch, right?" Do you mean the wire from the battery B+ to the keyswitch or the wire from the keyswitch that is live when the keyswitch is 'on'? Perhaps another sketch would help?

If you are planning on also running the battery meter from the new toggle switch for the convertor, there should not be any problem with that.
Signal_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #18
B Swan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal_Engineer View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by "I can tie the keyswitch wire .... to the same toggle switch, right?" Do you mean the wire from the battery B+ to the keyswitch or the wire from the keyswitch that is live when the keyswitch is 'on'? Perhaps another sketch would help?

If you are planning on also running the battery meter from the new toggle switch for the convertor, there should not be any problem with that.
This the battery meter switch.

0AEA4350-C430-489F-9BE9-6F44DC030D44.jpg

I was thinking I’d hook the converter trigger wire and +input to the same terminal as the battery meter.

There won’t be any problems with amps the meter and converter are both pulling? Especially since there’re only two terminals on the switch? The more I think about it, the louder the BOOM in my head.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #19
Venteuri
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hello. I searched the forums for an answer already, not wanting to repeat a question unnecessarily. But I haven’t yet found quite the answer I’m looking for.

I’m getting a voltage converter for my 94 Marathon, 36v to 12v 20amps. I’m not too keen on wiring it to the key switch. I will if it comes to that, but I hope not to have to. I just want to be able to disconnect the converter when I charge my cart. So, until I find a more suitable solution, I may just use spade connectors on the input cables to disconnect them before charging.

In any case, what size switch do I need? I know a 12v switch is too small - I just read someone else’s thread, “12v or 36v toggle.” I also remember reading that amps play a big part too. So, and trying to keep the hook up as simple as possible, what size switch in volts and amps do I need? I’d like not use a relay if that’s at all possible. But if not, then what size relay do I need? And can it be one of the simpler looking relays? You know, the relays that look like a big fuse holder. NOT one of the relays that look like a fuse box!

Thanks for any help! (And also, thanks for what I’ve learned already from this forum!)

Also, if it makes a difference, I’m not restoring it. I’m just having fun will I save to purchase a newer model cart.
Hi, I recommend you order a reducer with a trigger wire that connects to the key switch! this makes everything easier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Golf-Cart-V....c100008.m2219
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #20
Venteuri
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Or, if you already got a converter, try installing a relay.

follow this:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...38&postcount=6

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=167504
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO