lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default How to upgrade a 36V Resistor Car to Solid State?

This forum is starting to scare me....the more I read, the more daring I have become with my cart.

My cart is a 1992 Club Car, 36V with V-glide, resistors, and 1 solenoid. I have already upgraded the battery cables from 6 gauge to 4 gauge.

The V-glide looks pretty old, and I was thinking of getting a new one, along with upgraded 4 gauge cables for the rest of the cart. This would probably cost me around $200.00 with shipping and miscellaneous stuff. However, I don't know if I should throw any more money at this system, or look to upgrade.

I want to retain the stock 36V motor, but would like to get rid of the resistor coils on the cart.

What would it cost for me to upgrade to a controller and speed unit? What would be a good system for my cart? Does anyone sell package kits, or do I have to piece this together myself?

I was looking at this controller:

http://www.groovycarts.com/co24vo400amp7.html

I would also need a PB-6 unit, and a HD solenoid. After that, what about the 4 gauge cables? Will they need to be custom made, or again are there kits for this?

Opinions and advice from the forum gurus are greatly appreciated!
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to upgrade a 36V Resistor Car to Solid State?

Alltrax makes very good controllers. Use it with a Curtis PB-6 potentiometer...Nobody sells a kit that I am aware of.

If you find this site helpful, please consider buying from one of the many site sponsors who make this forum possible. Without their support this exchange of information would not be available....go here

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

scottyb,

I have been using several of this site's sponsors for my recent purchases, and will continue to do so.

I want your opinion as to the best controller VALUE for the application that I am going to use it for. I don't need a rocket sled, just a little faster and more reliable. I would like to get rid of the coiled resistor setup and V-glide, but if it's going to cost way too much, then I will probably go ahead and just change all the cables to 4 gauge and either rebuild or replace the V-glide.

Thanks!
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You will be pleased with the difference a solid state speed control systen will make. A 400 amp Alltrax non-programable is a good choice for you. You will need a curtis pb-6 & HD solenoid. You will have to fab a mount and linkage adaption for the pb-6. All of this has been done and documented here many times. Search for similar topics... be sure to get a 36-48v controller so you can easily go up to 48v next time you need batts.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do like SCOTTYB says and you wont go wrong, as he has done this change over before and know what results you will get.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #6
bob34287
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I bought a 1982 Club Car DS 36 volt. I don't like all the relays and switches for the speed control. Want to know how to up grade to electronic speed control. Need help.
bob34287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You could start your research here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/conversion-kits.html

The owner of the site referenced in the link is a long time contributor to the BGW forum and well respected. You resurrected a 6 year old thread. I suggest you start a new thread with your questions on this subject.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This thread is 8 yrs old. We have been producing conversion kits for many yrs now. A lot of new exciting technology has been developed since the original post. Alltrax SR controls and reversing contactors with rocker switch F&R switching are some of our latest offerings. While the updated CC conversions still utilize the mechanical throttle linkage we now offer a conversion with an electronic pedal for use with Ezgo or any old cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car