lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
bisquit476
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 81 G1 exhaust question

Ok, so it finally cooled down to the point that I feel like working on the cart. Can't get the cart to run right/if at all. So, from what I've read from you fine folks here about the G1 gas, sometimes it needs the muffler BBQ, so I thought I'd try that first to see what happens. So off comes the muffler, and I, out of curiosity look in the exhaust of the engine. I see a shaft, but that is it. It has screw holes in the shaft which peaks my interest. I bring my happy butt onto the computer and into the Yamaha parts page, and lo and behold, the IPC shows a butterfly valve in the exhaust. Mine is missing. Now, I'm going to ask a stupid question (because I don't know) but will having that butterfly valve missing cause the cart not to run? I have 120psi compression, so I'm scratching my head, wouldn't my compression be low if the exhaust shutoff (butterfly valve) was missing. The shaft has a lot of play to it also. Anybody's thoughts are appreciated.
bisquit476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
ic746
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 81 G1 exhaust question

Hi 476 and welcome to them crazy G1's, I have had 3 of them and now have 2 a 81 and a 82 model. I took the butterfly's valves clean out of mine and they run fine. Now I do pre mix and dont run a oil tank on either one of mine. I hear the butterfly is for when idoling so it runs the right amount of oil into the engine, I really dont know but both of mine run fine without them.
Now if your muffler is clogged up it will run good after you BBQ it good and all that mess runs out into the fire. I BBQ'ed both of mine and they run strong afterwards. Years of golf coarses and running at slow speeds builds up oil in the muffler until it clogs it up.
Good luck.
Calvin
ic746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
bisquit476
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 81 G1 exhaust question

Thanks Calvin,

I wasn't sure about the butterfly, so now it's back to bbq'ing the muffler and seeing if that helps.

Thanks again,
Bill
bisquit476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha