lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
ryaned82
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car engine install/clone engine help

Hello all...I'm new here and GREEN as a meadow in the forest! Need some nurturing if you know what I mean...little breast milk if you will!!!

I just purchased my first Club Car, pics attached that I plan to get running again. I was not able to get a lot of information as to the setup this cart had prior to the motor being removed from it due to a guy buying it from the guy, who got it from the guy who originally modified it. Long story, not interesting.

Anyways, I'm trying to get some advice on which engine to put in. I've already made the decision to use a clone engine due to not having very deep pockets at the moment. My budget for this project was $1200 and the cart with wheels and tires costs $500, so definitely gonna have to make a clone work for now. I would like to go with one of the 16hp clones. If anyone can recommend if one of the brands seems to be better than another it would greatly help. These are three I have thus far, let me know if I am overlooking any other possibles. I know I will have to special order a clutch to reach from Cart Parts Plus more than likely based on other threads I have read.

I'm considering the following:

Carol Stream 16 hp electric start

Duro Max 16 hp electric start w/side shaft (with or without side shaft?)

Duro Power 16 hp electric start

From experience can anyone guess what kind of speed on "road" I may get with some of these? I'm looking to try and get 30 mph on road if possible once tweaked a bit. Any suggestions for that besides governor removal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart1.jpg (11.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg cart2.jpg (10.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg cart3.jpg (8.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg cart4.jpg (9.1 KB, 44 views)
ryaned82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
bansheeo1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car engine install/clone engine help

you should be able to go 30 i get 30 out of my cart and i just took off the governor on the stock motor
bansheeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
ryaned82
Not Yet Wild

Are you doing 30 in small spurts, or could you maintain 30 for 2-3 mile stretches without raping the engine? Are you really pushing the engine hard at 30? Which clone engine do you have in there?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Nice cart the guy in Mesa bought it from a guy in maricopa bfore he sold it to you. I almost got from original guy In maricopa! I'm in Gilbert if you want some help
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
ryaned82
Not Yet Wild

Oh, you know more than I do then! I'm in Queen Creek. What was the original guy selling for in Maricopa? So, the guy I got it from just flipped it for a profit then or what? However it went down, I "think" I got a pretty fair shake on the cart...but we'll see what I run into getting it moving again! I'll keep you in mind for sure when I get ready to do some work in the next month or so here.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Im using a CC rear end in my YAMAHA so i could have reverse. I have a 8-9 hp HONDA if you dont want to use a clone if not just get a clone from harbor freight. I went with a 25hp kohler in mine but top speed isnt really more just more torque. Do you have any pics of the inside of the engine cradle / rearend. The pics you have are the same i remember from craigs. The swing arm seems a little small from the pic but who knows. The guy in maricopa that had it for sale might of been a little cheaper im thinking it was maby $4+ range im not sure. Said he got it from a kid who got tickets so he was sure you could get a title. Stated front end was messed and needed reworked. Guy in mesa prob made a deal and either was going to fix it or just to flip but i saw it re posted just a couple weeks later by him. trying to sell either as whole or wheels separate. Still looks like a good start I paid 300 for mine and have put almost 700 more with my engine and suspension work i fabbed.
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
bansheeo1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

you can hold 30 as long as there is not a hill but i did some crab work on it this weekend and i can tell that it has a lot more power so i will see how it dose on hills now
bansheeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

The cart in my avatar has(had) a 13hp HF engine in it with a Yamaha rear end, 8:1 gears, 25" tires, and Comet clutch. It was street legal and would run 35 mph on the flats or 25 to 30 up hills.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

So on these clone engines listed and the ones you guys have used, how much did they cost? What else is needed for a CC?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
ryaned82
Not Yet Wild

I'm pretty set on using the 16 hp clone engine from Maxtool now. They're selling for $399.99 plus shipping I believe directly from the site, but I'm hoping to find a deal on Ebay or locally if possible. The one year parts warranty is great and all, but I think its a bit of a scam anyhow. That's exactly what I'm looking to do though is get about 35 on flats. If I can achieve that then its all good from there.

I figure once I have the engine mounted in a carriage perfectly I can work into pushing that engine to the max because it will be virtually interchangeable then for another identical clone engine. I may even make some adjustments to the engine to get it driving a bit harder, but I'll have to see what I'm working with first at the minimum.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car