lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
hwillso
Not Yet Wild

Angry hot terminals, low torque

86 club car. fully charged voltage 38 volts. at first slowed quickly after start then completely stopped. checked and cleaned all connections some were getting very hot. helped but did not solve problem. tested solenoids using troubleshooting info from forum. 2nd solenoid from left (driver side/master solenoid) clicking but remains open. cart slows drastically on incline and refuses to climb any incline of significance even with one rider. jumpered out solenoid bank. same results. do i need a new motor? my first thread, what does it mean that you may add 5 tags to this thread? just bought the cart yesterday. it is my first golf cart so i don't know anything about them. all battery cables were very corroded and it had 5 pacer batteries in it and one regular 6 volt car battery which was only reading 4 volts and was actually a load on the other 5. put in a new dekar ( all that was available at local auto parts store ). total voltage afterwards was 38 volts. when i picked up cart it wouldn"t climb into truck but after looking at cables i fured that was most of it. after cleaning all connections and replacing battery i still have no power though, thats when i decided to jumper out solenoids to see if that was the problem, but i still don't. just wondering how to determine if my problem is motor and after reading some of the post i am concerned about parts availability for my cart.

Last edited by hwillso; 07-06-2010 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: more info
hwillso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: hot terminals, low torque

have you tried jacking rear of cart up and watching the wheels as you slowly press pedal? if not do so you,ll see wheels spin faster as you hit every solenoid....a clicking solinoid fdosn,t mean its good..............also take a look at the micros in the box mounted down inbetween the front batt. driver side..................easier to take that battery out if you need to...............start by testing all your battery voltage 1 battery at a time, write#s down than load test each one and write #s down.........check cells for water make certain cables battery cable ends are clean and tight.......make sure cables going to moyor are tight and you see no burnt spots, i have seen battery cables that look good but you cut the casing off and they are completly shot inside so grab pull tug and twist them but start with these basic things 1st you may not have to go any further.........let us know what you find........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

38 volts is not a fully charged pack. I would suggest starting with the battery pack. Likely as not you are going to find some bad batteries in there,
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
hwillso
Not Yet Wild

tested solenoids using a continuity tester yesterday. all five are clicking but second from left is remaining open. will do the test with wheels jacked up today to confirm. took power leads from each ends of solenoid pack and connected together and ran cart with fnr switch, still slows after a short distance and has low torque. all connections are now clean and good. contacts on fnr switch remain cool so i don"t think i am losing any voltage there. my dad has an ezgo with a set of trojans in it, i am going to swap out entire battery pack with his cart and see if i can narrow this further. my battery voltages range from 6.15 to 6.25 volts, only one reading below 6.2 volts, all load tested good. for some reason though my charger will not shut off , so could still have a battery problem. thanks for input.

Last edited by hwillso; 07-07-2010 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 07-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
ssdane
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Am I correct in guessing this is a 36 volt, with coils? If so check all your coils because they will burn in two, good luck!
ssdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
hwillso
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: hot terminals, low torque

Rabbit pretty much nailed it. first checked my dads trojans and found them all low on water. took 2 gallons of demineralized water to get all cells above plates. fully charged trojans till charger shutoff and checked voltage. immediately after charge they were reading 39.9 volts about 2 hours later when i finished swapping batteries trojans were reading 37.9 volts. tried cart and it ran fine even though trojans are showing early signs of deteriorating. retested my batteries while they were out of cart and hooked dvm up to each while load testing individually. all batteries read approx 6.1-6.2 volts but when load tested new battery dropped to 5.7 volts, 4 other batteries dropped to 5.5 volts and 1 battery dropped to 5.0 volts. put these batteries in dads ez go and it developed the symptoms of my club car. load tested both battery banks while riding and trojans drop to 31.5 volts but cart runs fine and climbs satisfactory. other bank drops to 30.0 volts and cart will not climb at all. soo one slightly bad battery will shut you down. retested solenoids, with wheels off ground and 1st solenoid to right of master definitely bad. no wheel motion until jumper installed. right now this only causes cart to take off with a jerk. plan to replace all 5 solenoids if i can find them. THANKS for every ones help. i am sure i will be back for more. i have learned more in the last two days about golf carts than i ever dreamed i would need to know. Thanks again. Later. hwillso
oh yeh, this is an A8611 36 volt club car with the old resistor coils. coils look terrible, but are not broken any where. will be using on my farm on rolling hills, so would like to give up some of its speed if necessary to increase torque even more.

Last edited by hwillso; 07-07-2010 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Scotty is offering a buy 4 get 1 free deal on the solenoids for your cart. Drop him a PM and I am sure you 2 can work a deal.

from the sounds of it, both of your battery packs are bad/going bad. The one set is obvious, the second (the trojans that drop to 31.5 while under load and running) are on their way out. If that was a solid state car, the vehicle would be limping home at 32.5 volts and practically crawling at 31.5 volts.

Glad we were able to assist you in isolating the issue.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car