lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
acramer
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger wont shut off - after 5 hours new

I started a new thread because the other was over a year old. My 2000 Club Car Charger wouldnt shut off -- even after 24 hours of use. I bought the cart about 1 1/2 years ago. The batteries were a mixure of 2006 t875 trojans. The total voltage after charging back then were lower than 49 volts. It was suggested back then that it was a battery problem and get new batteries. Because the cart still had great speed (Cart would only go about 2 hours or so before i had to charge again) (I only use cart for short runs anyway) I decided to wait until batteries wore down to basically nothing. Well i just spent 700 bucks for 6 new T875 Trojans and ran it for about 5-10 minutes and the speed was very similar to what i was getting for the last year. I was using my own timer to shut off the charger the last year. But after 5 hours of charging the new batteries charger still wouldnt shut off. I didnt want to wait any longer for maybe hurting new batteries. As i said i only ran cart for about 5 minutes before putting the charger on. Does anything think it should take longer than 5 hours on brand new batteries (only used 5 minute before charging) ? Is it probably the OBC??????? Im pretty sure i let someone try my charger last year (LESTER CHARGER) and it did shut off. I am going over to try this again tho shortly...
acramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger wont shut off - after 5 hours new

New batteries often take 12-14 hours on the first charge.

The first few chargers will all take 8 to 10 hours.

Then next 10 to 12 cycles will gradually reduce charge time to an average of 5-6 hours.

Read & follow proper battery break in procedure to get the most from your battery $
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Go Dog can I add get your volt meter and check voltages
as you are charging to settle your concerns about over
charging.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
NEW BATTERY BREAK-IN PROCEDURE:
Following proper break-in procedure can increase the strength and the useful life span of your new batteries. New batteries are initially about 75% of their full strength. The following procedure will insure they reach their full potential.
The 1st 10 to 20 complete charge/discharge cycles are critical to insure they reach 100%. New batteries should be charged before use and thereafter as follows:
Plug the charger in and leave it alone until charger shuts off by itself. Then drive to discharge the batteries to 75% battery pack capacity (see chart) Plug the cart back in and repeat the charge cycle.......It is very important you let it charge until it is completely done. Repeat this for the first 10 - 20 cycles......by the 12th cycle you will notice a difference in power, speed, and run-time.........I have never had a customer say they have not noticed the increase.
Most importantly, NEVER run the battery pack down below 50% of capacity throughout their entire life. Never leave the batteries in a state of discharge for extended periods of time. Recharge the pack once a week if the cart is sitting idle or in storage. And when in doubt, recharge it.
During the break-in procedure, keep an eye on the water levels. T can take 12 hours or more for the 1st few Charging times. These extended charge cycles may evaporate some of the water. ( use distilled water only )
As the batteries break in you will notice the charge time gets shorter. Eventually going from 12 to 5-6 hours per recharge.
ONCE A MONTH:
Routine maintenance is the 2nd most important thing to insure you get the most use out of your new battery pack. It is critical that you get into a routine of spending 10 - 15 minutes a month to keep the cable connections clean and check the water levels. Proper water level is critical. Dry batteries die quickly.
Keep the Distilled Water level up to the bottom of the fill hole sleeve or a half inch above the lead plates. Do not fill to the top.
Use a hard nylon brush to remove any visible corrosion. Carefully check that all of the cable connections are tight. Loose connections cause arching which will melt the soft lead terminals. Spray-on Battery Terminal Protector is available from the auto parts store and greatly reduces corrosive build up.
I hope this helps you get the most use possible out of your battery investment.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I often check (and re-check) voltage on new packs that seem to run forever but they all finish eventually without exception

The first charge is the longest. Cut off for his pack will be between 58 and 63 volts.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
acramer
Not Yet Wild

One quick question --- are you saying even after only a few minutes use of brand new batteries it will take 12-14 hours to recharge. Charger started out at 20 amps. in 30 minutes went to 5 amps and 30 minutes later with to just under 4 amps and then 3 1/2 hours later charger was still at same spot just under 4 amps.. thats why i stop it there...
Didnt want to hurt my new batteries.....
Old 11-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
acramer
Not Yet Wild

forgot 1 point -- after 5 hours of charging tops of batteries are a little moist and several drop of acid are on the batteries....
Old 11-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Straight off the delivery truck (& especially if they sat on the shelf) batteries will take 12 to fully charge.

New lead acid wet cell batteries are not at 100% when new. Read this again.

It takes several charge cycles to reach 100% capacity.

Yes, most of the charge cycle will be at low amperage 7-3 amps.... Trust me let it finish

While they are charging you can research how a lead acid battery works for a better understanding of the battery. You will also learn how far down to draw them before recharge. When to recharge and lots more that will help you get the most service from your battery $.

Batteries vent as they charge. they will be wet if they are a little too full for sure.
They only require enough distilled water to keep the lead plates covered.... I hope this helps
Old 11-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
acramer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks ScottyB for all the help with this the past 1 1/2 years.... I had good luck today. Used another battery charger and it shut off in 4 1/2 hours( So that was about 9 1/2 hours of total charge). Then took the cart out for a spin and put my battery charger on it and guess what in 45 minutes it shut off. So as you said 17 months ago it was the batteries that caused all my problems... not the charger or OBC but the batteries... Again thanks much for your help and others who contributed and I will follow the battery break in procedure to a tee.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

45 minutes !?

.... that's too short for comfort.

I can't tell any more without a voltmeter reading at charger shutoff.... and again 12 hours later. I know you don't have a voltmeter but the charger shut off so you're happy LOL good luck. I hope we helped.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car